Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stark Winter Branches - Watch Your Head
Posted By: Sailor, 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM

I planned on doing some "serious" photography today, but I got distracted this afternoon when I ran some errands in the roadster - which prompted me to sneak out of town and spend a little while at high rpm.

However, when I got back, I felt obligated to do something "serious" so I shot a silhouette of our sweet gum tree. The remaining "balls" on the tree remind me of medieval maces - they make me want to duck.

Jer

Views: 2,027
01-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jer, I like this image though I may have dodged out the bottom right. I see a picture within a picture here. If you want I can show you? JIM
01-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do believe that I'm seeing another artistic side to my ol saltmate.My goodness--what has this site unleashed.---Keep shootin'--film is cheap---capn zap
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting shot, I would assume they are seed balls on the tree ?

01-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Jer, I like this image though I may have dodged out the bottom right. I see a picture within a picture here. If you want I can show you? JIM
JIM, that would be wonderful - every time I try the dodging tool in PSP the results look bizarre.

I'm always a bit of two minds about leaving in or removing stuff like the extraneous tree - I knew it would be a distraction, but it was part of the scene. In the end, I actually emphasized it (and the clouds) by adjusting filtration and constrast.

It'd be a big favor if you could show me what you have in mind - thanks buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I do believe that I'm seeing another artistic side to my ol saltmate.My goodness--what has this site unleashed.---Keep shootin'--film is cheap---capn zap
Hey Capn - I've become "culturally attuned" - hell, I may even go to a ballet (). Anyway - it's a good thing film is cheap, since I'm a poor boy just tryin' to make good.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Interesting shot, I would assume they are seed balls on the tree ?
Thanks Bob - and yeah that's what they are. They make a real mess in the yard - the downside of what otherwise is a very pretty tree.

Jer
01-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of examples Jer. Its not that I don't like the image you posted. Cheers JIM

01-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

IU posted the same one twice. Sorry about that. JIM

01-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Jer, like this one. My only critique would be the large OOF sweet gum ball middle right side. It is quiet large and draws my eye. Crop it out maybe?
01-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
IU posted the same one twice. Sorry about that. JIM
Hey, buddy, you made a silk purse out of sow's ear. Thanks for going to all this trouble; I really appreciate it. I keep promising myself to learn more post-processing tools, but my old brain is still stuck in Kodachrome (RIP).

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Jer, like this one. My only critique would be the large OOF sweet gum ball middle right side. It is quiet large and draws my eye. Crop it out maybe?
Thanks, Susan - and you're right; that big "gooey" seed ball is incongruous. I should have tried cropping as JIMBO did above.

Jer
01-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Hey, buddy, you made a silk purse out of sow's ear. Thanks for going to all this trouble; I really appreciate it. I keep promising myself to learn more post-processing tools, but my old brain is still stuck in Kodachrome (RIP).

Jer
Not sure if I imroved that much Jer. Cheers bud. JIM