Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Shirakawa-gou
Posted By: RobG, 01-04-2011, 04:47 AM

The Gasshou style buildings in Shirakawa-gou are UNESCO World Heritage listed.

Views: 4,269
01-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd love to see them, but I'll have to try to go in the summer....I absolutely detest snow.

The name for the type of building, "gasshou" refers to what we would call "praying hands".

Last year I visited a couple of old houses preserved from a similar era but up in Fukushima Prefecture. One of them is loaded almost to overflowing with various household items and farming implements and the place looks almost like the family just moved out one day. The number and variety of things you can see in it are simply astounding. The other house was from a much poorer family and really sort of resembled a small barn with a couple of small rooms tacked on. In fact, during the winter months the family's horse bunked indoors with the family.

01-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'd love to see them, but I'll have to try to go in the summer....I absolutely detest snow. The name for the type of building, "gasshou" refers to what we would call "praying hands".
From the photos I've seen, it looks good in spring or summer as well. Thanks for reminding me about the "praying hands" description. I'd forgotten to mention it. The "praying hands" refer of course to the steep roof.

QuoteQuote:
Last year I visited a couple of old houses preserved from a similar era but up in Fukushima Prefecture. One of them is loaded almost to overflowing with various household items and farming implements and the place looks almost like the family just moved out one day. The number and variety of things you can see in it are simply astounding. The other house was from a much poorer family and really sort of resembled a small barn with a couple of small rooms tacked on. In fact, during the winter months the family's horse bunked indoors with the family.
Sounds like that was a great place to visit too! I'll post a couple of photos of the interiors.
01-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

the cultivation of silk warms part is interesting...that is something that makes them unique I guess
those three artificial boxes outside are for electicity?
01-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #19
Inactive Account

More info on Google. These were 16th-17th century. Just for similarity of utilitarianism both of material and for use. Some interior wood. Some type of "window(s). The thatched roof and size caught my eye.

01-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
the cultivation of silk warms part is interesting...that is something that makes them unique I guess
those three artificial boxes outside are for electicity?
The electrical boxes look like power meters. Not sure why there would be three on a tiny shed. Please check the equipment for making silk in the photo below. It also gives you an idea how huge the loft in one of the large Gasshou houses is. The can see the cocoons in the frames at the top and the box at the bottom, and how they are winding thread onto a spindle. You can also see the ropes binding the roof beams in the background.

01-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
More info on Google. These were 16th-17th century. Just for similarity of utilitarianism both of material and for use. Some interior wood. Some type of "window(s). The thatched roof and size caught my eye.
OK, thanks. Please check the second photo I posted which shows a typical Gasshou house as opposed to the small shed in the initial photo.
01-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

thanks for posting the inside shot, RobG

01-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Quite sophisticated.