Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Death of Mom-And-Pop: Universal Phenomenon
Posted By: Mike Cash, 10-03-2007, 04:40 AM

Stopped in Tokyo traffic today I saw an old fishing tackle shop which still had their sign on the window despite having been closed for umpteen years. Just like in other developed countries, the small mom-and-pop stores have been squeezed out of existence in Japan as well. A scattered few hang on, but they'll not last another generation. I think most of the few that do keep their doors open do so mostly to give Grannie and Gramps something to do during the day while the young folks go off to work at offices, factories, and modern stores.

The neighborhood shop has been almost entirely replaced by any of the several convenience store chains. When I first came here, there weren't any convenience stores. When I first started driving trucks here, they were still rare enough that we drivers used them as landmarks when giving directions. Two days ago I called another driver on the phone and asked directions to a place, specifically asking in relation to a MiniStop I thought was in the area. He said he hadn't even noticed what convenience stores there were. That's how ubiquitous they have become; they're so common as to be useless for landmarks.

There are even places where competing chains have stores right next door to each other. Nevermind throwing a stone from one to the other....you could practically spit the distance. Even out in the boondocks it isn't unusual to stand in front of one and easily be able to spot the signs of the next one, just a few hundred meters down the road.

The chains come into an area and coax or coerce mom-n-pop into going into a franchise. Often they'll do it even if a location won't support it....just to pre-empt competitors from moving in. Much of the commercial property landscape is littered with failed convenience store franchises. What do the chains do when one goes bust? They open another one within spitting distance. Yesterday I stood on a corner and took a photo of a failed 7-11 currently housing a dentist's office....and turned 45 degrees and took a photo of the 7-11 that replaced it a hundred meters away.

Anyway, here's the picture:

S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8
Views: 1,679
10-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful essay, thanks. It's certainly a topic that I relate to.
10-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Mike, I really like this shot. At first I thought what a beautiful shot, what colour! Then, I thought, wait a minute, is this a filter technique in post processing?

Either way, it is excellent but, if it was hand-made and not PP, its even better.

Do I make sense?
10-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A sad topic, but beautiful photo.

very well done.

10-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too like this photo a lot.

First my poor Signature Pastries closed up shop, then the delicious Brew-Ha-Ha, yet the God Damn Starbucks is opening on the corner. Anyone want to bet that in 5 years there will be only one coffee shop in town? It doesn't really matter, since the only coffee shops left only sling barely-passable slop.

Well, watch out. While all those idiots are on the other corner protesting some War or Peace or whatever, I'm going to march back and forth in front of the GDS with a sign that says 'Support Your Local Coffee Shop. Starbucks Sucks'.
10-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Every Picture tells a story (so Rod Stewart sings) and yours does so. As others mention sad but true - Wal-Mart , Starbucks , Home Hardware are the Borg of business unfortunately - although I don't believe resistance is futile and when given a choice I always shop at the underdog's store even if I have to pay a few more sheckles ...(although I succumb when it is a lot cheaper , hate to admit)
10-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice shot Mike. It's sad but true everywhere. I returned to a town I lived in in Switzerland and was sad to see the McDonald's cups littering the street, only to then be blown away by the fact that my favorite pub/restaurant, where I had had many a fine cup of coffee and a good glass of beer had become the local McDonald's. They kept the timbered architecture and the old pub sign, but it was far from the congenial gathering spot it had once been.

10-04-2007, 03:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the kind comments and for letting me know I'm not alone is missing the old shops. I spent the better part of my days up until age 12 in my grandfather's small-town small grocery and dry goods store. He and my grandmother ran it for almost a quarter-century, from about 1953 to 1977. My father worked there from about 1958, after marrying my mother. They knew everybody, and everybody knew them. When he didn't have something somebody needed, my grandfather was known to pick up the phone and start calling around town until he located the item at another store. Just part of the service. When the preacher at a small church in the neighborhood came to my grandfather and asked for a personal loan of about $500, it was readily loaned. The preacher asked if he should sign a note for the money, to which he was told, "When you pay me back, just tell me which pocket I took it out of."

I think one thing I picked up from growing up in that environment which I carry with me in truck driving is that no matter where I go, I try to make sure that at least one person there will be glad to see me the next time I come.

Regarding the photo and the post-processing:

(All in The GIMP)

1. Cropped
2. Levels and gamma adjusted
3. Contrast layer blended in "soft light"
4. Curves, individual adjustment of RGB and value
5. Decompose to RGB layers
6. Remix layers (I never remember the settings/modes)
7. Sepia toned with color mapping
10-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the PP info Mike - the end result is captivating. I really like the way it turned-out.

I recently mentioned that I had recently spent many years working in Malta where the small local grocery shop is STILL da boss. Especially early in the morning where mothers pick-up fresh milk and bread.

No such think as Tim Hortons, Starbucks or the other ones, although there are the McD and the BK and the KFC. One of the nice things about the place is the small and local coffee/tea bar where you are assured of a fresh sandwich on a bun.
10-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Another great shot Mike, I really like the way you isolate a subject from the surroundings. The story is good as well, allbeit sad. There's just too much of this in so many catagories. From a cup of coffee to a dedicated stereo shop. Everything is becoming the same in so many parts of the world. Sad but ultimately, we the consumers are the ones to blame for much of it.
10-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Such a beautiful photo, and a sad but true story. I like that the world has become one global community with modern technology, but miss the feeling of comfort that individual people add to the community. I can go anywhere in the US and find familiar stores, shops and eateries, but can still feel alone and insignificant in them.