Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Butterfly Series (need serious suggestions/opinions)
Posted By: HowLowCanYaGo, 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM

I'm considering uploading some of these to the gallery and would like some honest opinions and suggestions on which shots are probably the best choices. All were shot with the 18-55mm.

Gulf Fritillary - I'm not sure if this is even worth looking at. I'm not sure if the rest of the flower is to distracting...

Gulf Fritillary - is the background to distracting?

Common Buckeye - my favorite of the series

And what butterfly series is complete without a Monarch?

Monarch

American Lady

American Lady

Amercian Lady

Thanks for looking. Don't worry about leaving me simple "cool" or "great photos" or "this sucks lol" comments, I'm looking for more depth and technical suggestions.

Last edited by HowLowCanYaGo; 10-03-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Views: 1,430
10-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Gulf Fritillary - I'm not sure if this is even worth looking at. I'm not sure if the rest of the flower is to distracting...
Yes, it's too distracting.

QuoteQuote:
Gulf Fritillary - is the background to distracting?
Yes, it's too distracting.

QuoteQuote:
Common Buckeye - my favorite of the series
Mine too. Great angle and timing.

QuoteQuote:
And what butterfly series is complete without a Monarch?
My second-favorite.

QuoteQuote:
Monarch
Not as compelling as the first.

QuoteQuote:
American Lady
All of the American Lady photos seem to be a bit underexposed and there is something about the shallow DOF that is throwing me off. They don't come out as compelling as the two that I like above.

QuoteQuote:
Thanks for looking. Don't worry about leaving me simple "cool" or "great photos" or "this sucks lol" comments, I'm looking for more depth and technical suggestions.
This sucks lol.

Seriously, I would normally recommend a true macro lens (not just one that gets close up) but you've shown that you're doing alright with the kit lens.
10-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
All of the American Lady photos seem to be a bit underexposed and there is something about the shallow DOF that is throwing me off. They don't come out as compelling as the two that I like above.

This sucks lol.

Seriously, I would normally recommend a true macro lens (not just one that gets close up) but you've shown that you're doing alright with the kit lens.
Well, I used the highest aperture possible this time around because last time I got in trouble for "busy backgrounds." They are underexposed purposely- that can be corrected. Thanks for the suggestion.

The kit lens is such a great value.
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok well to start these are all good shots.
1 and 2 I do find large flower and the background a distraction. In 1 it would have been a better shot with a closer shot or crop if possible. It's a good angle to the butterfly though. In 2 It would have been better if closer and maybe shot from a 10-20 degree higher angle to get rid of the background
3/4 are spot on and perfect. Great captures. Can I say cool/great photos/ this doesn't suck???
5 is a tough one. It would have been better at a higher angle to remove the sky from the shot but it might have been hard to have the entire butterfly in focus with the limited DOF. maybe shoot slightly to the right and a touch higher?
6 crop the top flower out and brighten the shot a bit.
7 and 8 also brighten the shot a bit and it might have worked a little better with the lens stopped down some. The wing tips are sharp but the body is a little out of the focus range. You had some lattitude to work with. It was shot at f5.6 ISO100 @1/500th. You could have increased the ISO to 400 and gotten a couple more stops on the aperture so the DOF wasn't quite so limited.

Now all that being said I've tried this myself several times and it's very tough to get close. (Most of my attempts this year sucked!) They sense the your movement or your shadow and they are gone before you hit the shutter. These are all good shots and with a little PP you have a great series. The kit lens looks great in these as well. I'm regretting not getting one when I bought my camera.

10-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The comments

you have received are pretty well right on.

In addition, I'd recommend cropping the Buckeye to vertical, snipping approx. 25% from the right side, and maybe 20% from the bottom.

Try it and see if you want...
10-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Wow! I'm not used to getting so many replies.

Thanks for all of the wonderful tips!
10-05-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For shots from the kit lens ... that's impressive indeed.
There are a couple there that could do with a little rotation ... but still.
Really nice series from the kit lens ... better than any of mine.

Nice work.