Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I want to be artsy...to have the "eye"
Posted By: Igilligan, 10-04-2007, 10:56 AM

I really do want to .... I have fun taking abstactish shots. Bugs birds blooms, macros and the like. But few come close to the photos I have seen from most of you.
I would love to take wonderful landscape shots of beautiful locations like I see on here, but I spend most of my time in the mini-mall suburban world, packing two little ones around all day...
And in the end it was those little ones that got me taking pics in the first place. And I kinda like the people snaps... I just want to get better at them.
Here are a few I like... the first one was posted as my first post, but I still love it...

1st DAY OF SCHOOL

And the Kingsnake

Thanks for looking... please comment about the pics. It does help to get critiques, even on the snapshots. I really want to get better at it and the constructive comments help a lot.
-gus-
Views: 1,255
10-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like some of your pic's there Igilligan, although #4 is my personal favorite.
However it's also softer than I'd normally like
Everything else is perfect.

Landscape comes more from the location than anything, although the eye helps.

Going through an art gallery and looking at what people like to see will help improve your photography more than anything that I can think of.
This site as well of course.
10-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I stopped comparing MY photography to those of others, way back in photo magazine days. You either enjoy it or you don't. This is a great place to get ideas on how to improve your technique(s).

People photography is SPECIAL, very special and in my opinion, one of the most difficult because you can't just pose the subject each and every time.

You have some great shots there and, like Stu, #4 stands-out. But, that's probably because of the colour. Personally, I think you're doing just fine. Kids especially are wonderful - their expressions are innocent and REAL just like your images would be.
10-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice shots, especially #4 and #6. Great job !

10-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, #4 is definitely a winner. And I like #1 also albeit I would that the blurred girl in the back was not present....excellent work. The 'eye' I think takes time and is in a perpetual state of evolving....
10-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shots! I feel as previous posters 4 & 5 are great. The feeling in 5 is portrayed beautifully. I also like 3 Your daughter? on the swing. Nice shot that (IMO anyway)
10-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The innocence of youth - those are great captures and will bring back way founder memories years from now than that pristine valey and morning mist landscape picture will

As others I love #4 , #7 is great as well - a keeper for her wedding video. I think most are well framed. Some are a little soft and could use some sharpening and maybe some exposure corrections (if you shot raw) - keep on snapping !
10-04-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow ... this is a really nice series indeed.
You have done extremely well ... I hope to get shots as nice as these.
Although I have 2 nieces that I enjoy taking photos of ... so i am still learning.

#1 and #4 ... also the sleeping shot as the ones I really like in this series.

10-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Igilligan

Thanks for all the comments...

And the Kingsnake

Thanks to all who took time to comment and give me some feedback... It is much appreciated...

After looking over the pics that I posted, I am really liking the kingsnake shot. It is a very good example of the low light capabilities of the K100d. I originally thought I used my FA-50 but It was actually the M 50 1.7... I think it is very sharp for a manual focus lens... (can you hear me patting myself on the back?" Ooops, I think I pulled a muscle.

Of course I love the shots of my little ones but that kingsnake shot is my new fave...

Thanks again for the comments