Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Various Shots From the Year
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM

A few of the better ones from this year, no particular "theme", or time span, just some of the better shots I've gotten. Well, my favorites anyway...

This Egret is one of the best Egret shots I've gotten, just recently. This is a crop from the whole picture, 1280x960 then resized to 1024x768. Lentar 90-230 lens.

Click image to view larger size.

Another recent Egret shot.

Another shot from the past couple of weeks, a Blue Grey Gnatcatcher. my first time to get a chance to shoot this little bird, about 4 inches long. Several of these pictures are newer ones I guess because I'm improving in my old age...

Kinglet shot in November

Egret in the fog also from November

Grasshopper macro

Jumping spider

One of my better bug shots, and I better quit before this gets too long...

Enjoy
Views: 1,704
01-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like them all Pete, but if I "gotta" pic a favorite, your gnatcatchers are magnificent.
Know just how difficult those birds can be. Was hopper and beetle with your
binocular rig? Getting scary here regarding herons and egrets, asiatic carp
has had big impact on shad and you can imagine the results.
01-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks BillM Yes, the jumping spider, beetle and grasshopper were all taken with the binocular lens rig. And no, you don't "gotta" pick a favorite...but I'm glad you like the Gnatcatcher, actually that one wasn't too hard to get, he let me get really close, within 10 feet, and I followed him along the bank of the lake for 50 -60 yards till he crossed a fence and I couldn't keep going. Never seemed to be too skittish, just wary of me.
01-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No not the gnatcatcher, the egret in the fog and the kinglet. Those are the best ones. OK, I'm not big on bugs but you picked some great shots for your favorites from the year.

01-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks slowpez, glad you liked them.

Just so you folks will know, these might not be the "best", just my favorites. I'll probably add a few more later on but right now it's time to get outta here...

Later...
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #6

Just love that grasshopper and jumping spider! The texture in each is fantastic!
01-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks kierra...or elizabeth???

A couple more, finally had a little time to poke around and find some of the other better ones.

This Green Heron was standing there really close, much closer than they usually let me get, and I got one of my better sidelit shots.

I entered this lizard in the photo contest at a local fairgrounds, it got second place ini the animals category.

Tiny Flowers...each just under 1/4 inch across.

always liked this shot of a Giant swallowtail

And I just found out my favorite jumping spider picture is not on my Flickr page...rats...
01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Great shots! I love the tones in the one of the lizard especially.

01-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Thanks for sharing.
01-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Very nice work Pete
01-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys, unfortunately the jumping spider I like best is no longer on Flickr, ditto for several of my better shots. I have to clear out some space now and then for newer shots, so the old ones go...but I think I still have some nice shots to show off and I'm glad people like them.

Rob, the lizard is one of my very favorite of all my shots, it just has boatloads of texture. That's my main objective with lizards, they have lots of texture in their skin and if I don't bring that out, you don't see it. That and the eyes...which came out excellent here too, the eye looks like it's made of glass, which is what I was after.

Thanks again...