Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Toowoomba floods
Posted By: Ash, 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Toowoomba gets hit by severe flash flooding totally unawares on the 10th of January, 2011. High numbers of casualties, innumerable cars and properties destroyed and countless farms wiped out. We continually get warnings of ongoing severe weather in the area and the devastation is still going on...

'Instant inland tsunami' kills eight

Toowoomba and Lockyer Valley flash floods claim at least eight lives, dozens missing | Courier Mail

Death toll rises to eight | Toowoomba News | Local News in Toowoomba | Toowoomba Chronicle

These are photos I managed to take in the wake of the floods, still going on after over 100mm of rainfall fell over half an hour yesterday. These images do not show the extent of the flooding that immersed the city yesterday...

One of those freak events that no-one could have foreseen...

Last edited by Ash; 01-10-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Views: 11,684
01-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Threats unseen, such as dysentery, cholera..etc, are very real in flooding such as this.
If I might be so foward, would like to remind folks that organizations such as the
Red Cross of Australia, that do so much in times likes these
can always use a little more help.
Queensland is in our hearts and prayers.

01-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #47
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Indeed we've already had reports of E. coli infesting the water in Chinchilla, so diarrhoeal illnesses will soon follow.
01-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We just saw the newest report on the flooding, you are all in our prayers. Bob
01-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Water is an amazing, unstoppable force! Our thoughts and prayers are with you - and all our brothers "down under"!

01-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #50
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is a harrowing account of the surviving children of a couple in Spring Bluff, just down the Range, who saw their parents swept away from in front of them: The seconds that separated life and death | The Australian

The man of this couple that perished was a cousin of a very close family friend.
01-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sobering series ash.... most times we read about the happenings so far from our homes, your series reminds us of how vulnerable we all are to mother natures' fury.... hope this situation resolves itself with gods' speed.... thinking of you and yours during these trying times.... dave m
01-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #52
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Dave.

All eyes on Brisbane now: Australia floods shut down Brisbane | Video | Reuters.com

Death toll up to 12, 72 still missing.

Last edited by Ash; 01-12-2011 at 02:06 PM.
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every day I hope to hear better news for you folks, but it still looks bad. Best wishes, Ash and all the rest of you in the affected region.
01-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #54
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The flood has peaked at just under 4.5 metres with over 15,000 businesses and 36,000 properties flooded. More than 1,000 evacuated and the CBD is a ghost town.

Hopefully this is the worst of it - now is the painstaking wait for the floodwaters to subside and begin the cleanup operation.
01-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #55
Veteran Member

There is another live news stream here-
Ninemsn newsroom
01-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #56
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kudos to this lady in spite of her shortcomings (as we all have) who has given her heart and soul to seeing the state through this natural disaster, working tirelessly without sleep to ensure everything is in place to avert any further human losses.

Video | ninemsn news

Death toll at 13 with Brisbane's first fatality, 70 still unaccounted for.
>115,000 dwellings without power.
01-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Death toll, now 15, 61 people still missing.

Edit, just watching the chopper camera, i see the CR Kennedy building got flooded too.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 01-12-2011 at 09:07 PM.
01-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #58
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Goondiwindi, a town close to my heart, is also now threatened by the rising waters of the McIntyre river, possibly breaking past the levee set up along the river some time tonight.

Our thoughts are with the residents of the lovely town.

Flood threatens Goondiwindi - ABC Southern Queensland - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Nail-biting wait as flood heads for Goondiwindi
01-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Goondiwindi, a town close to my heart, is also now threatened by the rising waters of the McIntyre river, possibly breaking past the levee set up along the river some time tonight.

Our thoughts are with the residents of the lovely town.

Flood threatens Goondiwindi - ABC Southern Queensland - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Nail-biting wait as flood heads for Goondiwindi
Ash, are your statues at any risk? It looks like it's expected to get very close to the top of the levee.

I associate Goondiwindi with mid-morning (to me) coffee at the roadhouse on Boundary Road (Leichhardt Hwy) after leaving Coonabarabran at around 5:00am; and the truly valiant efforts of the American woman who does text-to-speech on my GPS to handle words like Goondiwindi (pretty good) or Leichhardt - 'leech - hurt' (ouch). I feel free when I get there.

Some advice: if your wife wants raisin toast because she didn't want breakfast at 4:30am in Coonabarabran and she wasn't really awake for the 6:00am snack stop at Narrabri or the 7:00am coffee in Moree, check how long it's going to take to plant the grape vine that they are going to use for the grapes that will shrivel in the sun to make the raisins.

Richard.
01-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #60
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Some advice: if your wife wants raisin toast because she didn't want breakfast at 4:30am in Coonabarabran and she wasn't really awake for the 6:00am snack stop at Narrabri or the 7:00am coffee in Moree, check how long it's going to take to plant the grape vine that they are going to use for the grapes that will shrivel in the sun to make the raisins.

Richard.
Haha! With the weather we're having it's gonna take days to make raisins!
I'd like to hear the GPS try 'Nhulumbuy'.

I hope Gundy will be spared - those monuments are a cultural icon.
Keep them in prayer overnight...