Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A few winter birds
Lens: 55-300 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Alberta(our backyard) ISO: 100 Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Today, for the first time in a while the sun came out but it was cold (-19º C) and breezy. I looked out of the window and couldn't believe my eyes, a flock of Pine Siskins had taken over all of the bird feeders. First time in 9 years that I see them here in the backyard. Anyway, cold or not cold I grabbed the 55-300 and spent a few minutes outside, these birds are not as skittish as some so they let me come as close as 20 feet. I didn't want to have the camera out too long in the cold so I went back in the house after 10 minutes or so. All are handheld.

Comments are always welcome and appreciated
Views: 2,593
01-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wonderful captures with that versatile 55-300 !! nice color and excellent detail.... by the way... brrrrrrr ! dave m
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Always a treat when you post Heinrich, we share the periodic eruptions here
in about same time frame, Ive always looked for a more rounded, finch like
beak, your 2nd clearly shows its a little more pointed.
Thinking now, maybe add a hand-full of pine nuts to feeder mix when I fill.
Thats not cheating is it?
01-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You have done this little bird justice. Wonderful pictures, they all have so much "personality" ... lovely!

01-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great photos Heinrich, I am not familiar with this bird, but they must be tough to survive in such a climate. The focus is spot on, I can even see the individual feathers. thanks for sharing, stay warm. Bob
01-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heinrich,
I especially like how the third shot "personifies" the pine siskin quite well. Though the books say they are in Puget Sound year 'round, I only notice them for about 6 weeks in the Spring. Their throaty, harsh calls grab a lot of attention. I find them to be distinctive in appearance and always look forward to their coming by.

So to me your fine shots are reminders of our forthcoming Spring. Thanks.

M
01-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Heinrich,
I especially like how the third shot "personifies" the pine siskin quite well. Though the books say they are in Puget Sound year 'round, I only notice them for about 6 weeks in the Spring. Their throaty, harsh calls grab a lot of attention. I find them to be distinctive in appearance and always look forward to their coming by.

So to me your fine shots are reminders of our forthcoming Spring. Thanks.

M
Thank you Miguel, same here, the book says all year round but I had previously only seen them in the Spring in Waterton Lakes National Park.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Great photos Heinrich, I am not familiar with this bird, but they must be tough to survive in such a climate. The focus is spot on, I can even see the individual feathers. thanks for sharing, stay warm. Bob
Hi Bob and thank you, birds are tough up here, it always amazes me how many different species have no problem overwintering here.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
You have done this little bird justice. Wonderful pictures, they all have so much "personality" ... lovely!
Thank you tess for the kind comments and do take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Always a treat when you post Heinrich, we share the periodic eruptions here
in about same time frame, Ive always looked for a more rounded, finch like
beak, your 2nd clearly shows its a little more pointed.
Thinking now, maybe add a hand-full of pine nuts to feeder mix when I fill.
Thats not cheating is it?
Thank you Bill for the kind words and no that's not cheating but they do prefer Niger seed.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
wonderful captures with that versatile 55-300 !! nice color and excellent detail.... by the way... brrrrrrr ! dave m
Hi dave and thank you......brrrrrr is right but it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Take care,

01-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What a lovely series Heinrich ! I particularly liked #2 - great personality and more unusual pose .... but #3 was only just behind it in the popularity stakes !
01-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
What a lovely series Heinrich ! I particularly liked #2 - great personality and more unusual pose .... but #3 was only just behind it in the popularity stakes !
Thank you for looking and commenting, it is appreciated Frogfish.

Take care,
01-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Heinrich, this is a really nice series of shots. Sharp and nicely posed. I especially like the last three.
01-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, Heinrich - you sure get the best out of that 55-300 - especially hand held in the cold, where I'd be shivering so much I'd need a video camera.

Jer
01-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree with Jer. You really do get good results from that lens. Great series and that second shot is wonderful.
01-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Heinrich, this is a really nice series of shots. Sharp and nicely posed. I especially like the last three.
Thank you Susan, it's just too bad that it is so cold right now because that flock of birds was back today. The high today was -21ºC and I wasn't going to take a chance with the camera for maybe a few good bird shots.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Man, Heinrich - you sure get the best out of that 55-300 - especially hand held in the cold, where I'd be shivering so much I'd need a video camera.

Jer
Hi Jer and thank you, I am OK in the cold it's the camera that I'm worried about when it gets this cold. Should reactivate one of the old film bodies, as long as one winds the film real slow they work just fine in the cold.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
I agree with Jer. You really do get good results from that lens. Great series and that second shot is wonderful.
Thank you Barry for the kind comments and do take care,