Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winter photo walk
Lens: 18-55 Camera: K20D ISO: 100 
Posted By: wshi, 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM

Hello guys, just felt like sharing some recent shots I've taken. Went for a long stroll yesterday and tried to get some shots in the snow. Got to test out my K20D's weather sealing a bit as well, as it was snowing quite hard at times. I used the regular kit lens, with a cloth to protect the mount. I don't think I would have braved these conditions with the old K-x, so score one for sealed cameras! Anyway, CC is welcome as usual. Thanks guys

Bonus: Today's shot for my 365. Pretty much my first time doing a long exposure with a tripod.

Views: 2,100
01-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great series, maybe I will trade my K-x for a K20D, thanks for sharing. Bob
01-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Nice. The snow in some is a bit grey. Like the red in the first two. Good composition.

One thing I can't understand is that you list Friends ahead of Photography in your Interests! : )
01-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series. Like the first shot the best. Looks cold.

01-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Forum Member

I like the last shot - looks very peacful - serene.
01-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
great series, maybe I will trade my K-x for a K20D, thanks for sharing. Bob
Thanks Bob. It really is quite a bit of a different experience, and unless you shoot in the darkest of conditions, you won't miss the K-x's high iso performance that much. Still, I'm somewhat hesitant to sell the K-x... may need that movie mode someday

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Nice. The snow in some is a bit grey. Like the red in the first two. Good composition

One thing I can't understand is that you list Friends ahead of Photography in your Interests! : )
Thanks, and yes I've noticed that it's a bit grey at times. TBH I have little experience with snow exposure, and although I know snow typically needs +2-3 exposure compensation, I think a little grey and avoiding blowing out into complete white looks good at times... more experience needed!

I started photography in a lot of ways because of and for my friends, so it seems like the right thing to say

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice series. Like the first shot the best. Looks cold.
Thanks! It was indeed quite cold.

QuoteOriginally posted by ddurrant Quote
I like the last shot - looks very peacful - serene.
Thank you, and yeah, it's definitely quiet around here for now, at least until school starts.
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Snow is very difficult especially in contrasting conditions. We got a foot of it today.
Others are much worse off, all over the world.

01-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice winter series - is this in Urbana?

The first one makes me feel guilty about complaining of an afternoon high of 41F.

Jer
01-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Since last night I keep coming back to this series to comment and then get called away. I love these pictures. I have never seen a round barn before, and that shot is just amazing to me. I also like the red coat and bus stop sign in the first. The reds really make that shot (should you straighten that picture?) The white white fireld with the one seed-less weed is terrific too. Very minimalist (a bit on a slant as well though).

Wonderful series!!
01-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Snow is very difficult especially in contrasting conditions. We got a foot of it today.
Others are much worse off, all over the world.
Yeah, I'm starting to miss warm weather. This morning, I was early for work and instead of just sitting outside for 15 minutes, I had to enter a restaurant. Would have been nice to read the paper outside again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice winter series - is this in Urbana?

The first one makes me feel guilty about complaining of an afternoon high of 41F.

Jer
Yes, I think half are in Urbana and half in Champaign. The first 2 are in Champaign, the next 3 in Urbana, and the last in Champaign again.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Since last night I keep coming back to this series to comment and then get called away. I love these pictures. I have never seen a round barn before, and that shot is just amazing to me. I also like the red coat and bus stop sign in the first. The reds really make that shot (should you straighten that picture?) The white white fireld with the one seed-less weed is terrific too. Very minimalist (a bit on a slant as well though).

Wonderful series!!
Thanks! I've visited that round barn a few times, and each time I just have to take a shot.

I thought about horizons and such, and I think the sign just slanted that way. The sidewalk is pretty straight. The other looks okay to me also, maybe a few degrees slanted but I didn't notice until you mentioned and I went back and drew guide line.