Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Cold out there
Lens: 16-50 Camera: K20 Photo Location: Harrison Lake ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F19 
Posted By: Jimbo, 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Few more from a recent shoot. Cheers JIMBO

Views: 4,425
01-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #2

wow. this is what i call perfectly sharpened photos! very good job! can you tell me your worklfow for sharpening? Ty. Awesome.
01-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hand held, Eh. You know that is a no no. Shutter speed must be at least as fast as the inverse of the focal length. E.g., lens at 200 mm, shutter at 1/200s or 1/250s or higher. Use a tripod, rest or lean on something, hold your breath (Sometimes even a heartbeat can cause camera shake as does the mirror flipping.), or pump up the ISO (Noise is not as apparent as quickly at higher ISO as grain is on film). I know, I'm preaching to the choir! But others may benefit.
01-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific! LIke SMek, I'm curious to know about your approach to sharpening, Jimbo.

01-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent. I particularly like the first one. However, all are very nice.
01-13-2011, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
wow. this is what i call perfectly sharpened photos! very good job! can you tell me your worklfow for sharpening? Ty. Awesome.
QuoteQuote:
Hand held, Eh. You know that is a no no. Shutter speed must be at least as fast as the inverse of the focal length. E.g., lens at 200 mm, shutter at 1/200s or 1/250s or higher. Use a tripod, rest or lean on something, hold your breath (Sometimes even a heartbeat can cause camera shake as does the mirror flipping.), or pump up the ISO (Noise is not as apparent as quickly at higher ISO as grain is on film). I know, I'm preaching to the choir! But others may benefit.
Today 05:33 PM
Ok, my first and most important part of the work flow is my set up. A few things have been mentioned here. Ok, first I set my tri-pod up for all Landscape shots. I also set a two second delay.. thus a mirror lockup. Very important. Next I set my focus and my set up here changes depending on what I am shooting and which lens. [wide angle versus telephoto] Once I have the focus done I set it on manual. [one less thing to worry about] Next I set the F stop and shutter speed and that varies again depending what I want out of the image. I do set control to manual on all Landscapes. I would then run a test shot and check the histogram to make sure I am off both the right and left sides. I want to stop now and point out everyone has their own approach and mine is by no means the only way to produce a good image. I have found that the sharper you get straight out of the camera, the better the processing goes and this is true of any type of shooting IMO. Once I get the image down loaded. [I load to Lightroom 3 to start] I check the horizon, crop, sharpness etc. [key here is not to over saturate any image. I have screwed up a many of a image trying to over do it.] Note that my sharpness is pre-set to 25 and I work from there. The sharpening is also the last thing I do. Once this is done I move over to Photoshop Elements and work in Levels to balance the images lighting. Again, keep it simple try not to over do anything. In a lot of cases I will move the saturation down at this point of the process. In closing, you know when you have a good looking image and that is when the whole process takes just minutes to complete. Not sure if I helped you or made it even more confusing. I am still learning and each time I go out I seem to pick up a lot more. Cheers JIM
01-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Jim, you have spectacular views and even more spectacular captures of those views.
#1 is breath-taking. Not bad resolution for f/19.
01-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Absolutely Beautiful !!

01-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First shot just looks like a dream come true. Beautiful stuff.

Jimbo - its time for you to start one of those dude ranch tours for aspiring landscape shooters. You have one helluva collection of shots to use to lure unsuspecting canikons to some of your locations.
01-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim, you have spectacular views and even more spectacular captures of those views.
#1 is breath-taking. Not bad resolution for f/19
Thanks Ash. It was so calm and damn cold! Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
Absolutely Beautiful !!
Thank you Bob. JIM

QuoteQuote:
First shot just looks like a dream come true. Beautiful stuff.

Jimbo - its time for you to start one of those dude ranch tours for aspiring landscape shooters. You have one helluva collection of shots to use to lure unsuspecting canikons to some of your locations.
Today 08:10 PM
Thanks bud. Not there yet but having a blast! Cheers JIM
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Great stuff Jimbo. Great process you go through. After reading the first comment I got the impression that you relied on PP sharpening in this instance. Thought you may have been too hurried. Hope many (and all) follow your example.
01-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That are again three very nice photos Jim, love the first one.
01-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Great stuff Jimbo. Great process you go through. After reading the first comment I got the impression that you relied on PP sharpening in this instance. Thought you may have been too hurried. Hope many (and all) follow your example

I guess I should have called it set-up versus work flow to start. Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
That are again three very nice photos Jim, love the first one.
THank you Henrich. JIM
01-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
So does holding your breath stop your heart

Oh - just realised I haven't commented on these. #1 is a simply SUPERB shot !
01-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #15

La primera me encanta....