Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
BEHIND the waterfall.....
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Minneapolis, Mn - USA 
Posted By: UpNorth, 01-16-2011, 12:27 PM

It's been cold enough lately that I though I would run over to a local waterfall yesterday to see what I could find. This is what it looked like from the "regular" viewing points....

But - if you actually climb up what is normally the falling water in the summer, and get behind the waterfall - this is what you see.....

Pretty "cool" - eh?
Actually, it was about 14F out, so not too bad for mid-winter in Minnesota.

Thanks for looking.....

Tim
Views: 4,023
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow - these are amazing ! If I were you I'd get out there again with coloured lights etc. and maybe long exposures to see what you can do with them. Maybe at night if you have a friend who would come along - and if it was safe of course, not worth taking any risks !
01-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ohh.... some sweet images, love the last two and thanks for posting them. Be careful though they do come apart, look at the horizontal crack in the second last one.
01-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Wow! Very interesting series! The last three are really cool!

01-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Looking at this I have to wonder how nature works sometimes. I can see the water in the falls freezing and leaving a gap up top and maybe some ice dangling, broken bits and more frozen water below, but a solid wall of frozen water? I'd love to be able to understand the physics behind these pictures. Wow, just wow.
01-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Wow - these are amazing ! If I were you I'd get out there again with coloured lights etc. and maybe long exposures to see what you can do with them. Maybe at night if you have a friend who would come along - and if it was safe of course, not worth taking any risks !
Thanks Frogfish. I had planned on going this morning or tomorrow morning to catch the light coming INTO the ice (yesterday I was there in the afternoon and the sun was behind the falls by then), but we've got cloudy & more snow both today and predicted for tomorrow. Maybe NEXT weekend.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Ohh.... some sweet images, love the last two and thanks for posting them. Be careful though they do come apart, look at the horizontal crack in the second last one.
Thanks Heinrich. You're right. As frozen as the falls LOOK, once you get back in there you can see that the water in the creek is still actually running. It's just a trickle in a few spots, but seeing that just reinforces the fact to be careful - at least for me! ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Wow! Very interesting series! The last three are really cool!
Thanks Swede. Nature sure is amazing. No pp needed!
01-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Looking at this I have to wonder how nature works sometimes. I can see the water in the falls freezing and leaving a gap up top and maybe some ice dangling, broken bits and more frozen water below, but a solid wall of frozen water? I'd love to be able to understand the physics behind these pictures. Wow, just wow.
Yes - nature is amazing that way. Of course it helps that this is Minnesota. This upcoming week is historically the coldest of the year - and the forecast is for highs from 0 - 10F, with lows well below zero each night, so I guess you can see how that water just stops in its tracks eventually. Guess I don't have to worry about trying to catch some morning light NEXT weekend. I think the ice will still be there.

Tim

01-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
krp
Veteran Member

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Is the waterfall that wide in the summer? I'm sure it would be worth it to go there in the morning.
01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Wow, that's pretty amazing. Is the waterfall that wide in the summer? I'm sure it would be worth it to go there in the morning.
It's a little deceptive, as the "ice wall" gets a little wider when it freezes than when it's running in the summer. I believe its due - at least in part - to the runoff from the melting snow that builds up around the falls. For reference, here's what it looks like in November - when the flow is about half of what it is in the summer (it doesn't get any wider, however - just "thicker").....

Looking forward to the next sunny, non-work morning when I can go back.....

Tim
01-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That is very cool!!! Look forward to seeing more shots
01-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Heinrich - those last two shots are something else.

Jer
01-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The first and last two are awesome. Heck, they are all awesome but those are my favorites. Simply gorgeous.
01-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

These are very cool photos and very unique. I like them all.
01-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
That is very cool!!! Look forward to seeing more shots
As soon as we see the sun again in these parts I'll be heading over.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'm with Heinrich - those last two shots are something else.

Jer
Thanks Jer. The color was really something to see. That, and the amount of ice of course!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
The first and last two are awesome. Heck, they are all awesome but those are my favorites. Simply gorgeous.
Thanks Susan. I'm afraid I didn't do the falls justice in my "straight-on" shots - but those were more for reference than anything else. I hope to get some more next weekend.

Tim
01-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
These are very cool photos and very unique. I like them all.
Thanks Barry. I had fun shooting them. It's always fun to go off the beaten path - even more so when the camera is along for the trip!

Tim