Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bees and Bugs
Posted By: HogRider, 12-08-2006, 08:15 AM

Those are from a few weeks ago. All taken with Pentax DS and Lester Dine 105mm Macro.

Views: 2,518
12-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Wow, very nice. The first and fourth ones have a nice angle.
12-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Putting anything in the subject line about insects is bound to get my attention...

The first and last are my faves - the first is a nice composition, I like the way the position of the bee parallels the oblong flower head, and the detail on the bee is fantastic. On the last, the ocelli are clearly visible, which is rather cool - I'd never noticed that pentatomids had ocelli like that. And the dusting of pollen, wonderful detail. It's snowing here, no insect macros for me.

Julie
12-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice, clear and crisp. The isolation and focus really makes these pop.
Are you using a tripod?
The colors appear very subtle but very clear.
Is this a characteristic of the lense?
Perhaps I have been looking at some that were to intensely post processed.

Julie, you read as though you are very knowledgable about bugs/insects. I have seen a number of really nice macro shots but one thing has always been odd to me and I do not understand their function. On this beetle and especially on the top of the head of a wasp I see what looks weirdly like a cluster of eyes or in the case of this beetle, two little eyes. What are they, in layman's terms, and what do they do? Thanks.

12-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Julie, you read as though you are very knowledgable about bugs/insects.
Well, I am an entomologist, more or less. I'm doing a PhD in stream ecology, studying predatory stoneflies and caddisflies.

QuoteQuote:
I have seen a number of really nice macro shots but one thing has always been odd to me and I do not understand their function. On this beetle and especially on the top of the head of a wasp I see what looks weirdly like a cluster of eyes or in the case of this beetle, two little eyes. What are they, in layman's terms, and what do they do? Thanks.
Those little eyes are the ocelli I made reference to in the other post. Sometimes they're called "simple eyes". Insects really go overboard in the eye department. Their main eyes are compound, and then many of them have various numbers of ocelli on top of their heads. If you google "ocelli" you'll find all about what they're for, far better explained than I could do!

Julie
12-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

All outstanding macros - sharp clear bugs especially the head with such creamy soft bokeh - the bokeh quality RedHawk had emphasised as a more critical feature for a macro lens to have in the thread talking about "what macro lenses to buy" in pentax SLR lens section.

I like the last shot the best though I heard macros "should" have a insect body shot head to toe parallel to camera - all in focus.

This is an amazing post
12-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RedHawk Quote
Those are from a few weeks ago. All taken with Pentax DS and Lester Dine 105mm Macro.
Amazing shots- I still can't believe you managed to get that close to the bugs...

#4 is the best by far, since the bee was "caught in the act"

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow!

These are all beautiful. What else can I say?

Wow.

12-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Gee...excellent macros RedHawk. The forth and last are just stunning.
Cheers.
12-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #10
pog

WOW!

You really have done an outstanding job here. Very, very impressive.
12-09-2006, 02:02 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Outstanding job Red hawk,
Just looking at them gives me hives (pun intended) this is the only way I want to see any kind of stinging insect especially ones I allergic to. they really are great shots so crisp and clear I like them all.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-09-2006, 05:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WOW!! Fantastic photos, great details, colors, bokeh! Now - Lester Dine 105mm Macro, is that Sigma lens?

Regards,
D
12-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
On the last, the ocelli are clearly visible, which is rather cool - I'd never noticed that pentatomids had ocelli like that. And the dusting of pollen, wonderful detail....
Julie
Thanks! So that last bug is a pentatomid? I called it the unknown bug because I had no clue what it was . Just learned something new. The ring flash seems so bring those ocellis out a lot, I also noticed that the last time with the Mantis shots.

I guess I will come here for further insect identification, as I always discover new species in my yard.
12-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Very nice, clear and crisp. The isolation and focus really makes these pop.
Are you using a tripod?
The colors appear very subtle but very clear.
Is this a characteristic of the lense?
Perhaps I have been looking at some that were to intensely post processed.

Yes most of them were taken with a tripod. I have not enhanced the colors at all - it pretty much looked liked that in real. The bush with the insects was in a large shaded area. The light reflection on them is from manual ring flash which I dampened with a thin Styrofoam paper plate. The last picture has some natural sunlight in it as it came through the trees. All pictures are more or less cropped, sharpened, dust/noise removed etc....
12-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Amazing shots- I still can't believe you managed to get that close to the bugs...
Thanks Mo. I was basically set up almost inside the bush, the bees although all Africanized seem to not bother if you move slowly, I guess they only get aggressive or attack when you are somewhere near the hive, and luckily that one seems to be not that close to my yard. I had one removed last year - cost me 150 bucks, but at least I didn't get stung.