Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Photographer and Photo
Posted By: tessfully, 01-18-2011, 07:33 AM

I have so much fun taking pictures of other people taking pictures. A really great opportunity got away from me this summer when dozens of really interesting looking people were standing on the side of the highway taking pictures of a moose and calf grazing in a meadow. Kind of like this one.

Photographers

and Subject...

So I am starting this thread entitled Photographer and Photo. Here are some samples.

Photographer

And photo.

Also, if you have similar shots and would like to share them in this thread, feel free!
They can be either photographer and the image the photographer produced, or a picture of photographers along with what they were taking a picture of.

cheers, tess

Last edited by Parallax; 04-02-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Request of OP by proxy
Views: 26,350
01-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Just a cautionary note: a cow moose with calf is the most dangerous animal in the woods.
In some circumstances perhaps. But I've been quite close to moose with calves, as long as you're not perceived as a threat you're ok. If you're in a boat you can get quite close, like 50 feet away. One of my canoeing partners was run off a trail once by a male moose in mid summer. We have no idea what that was about. The moose was snorting and mock charging and pawing the ground. It then followed him 50 meters to the end of the portage still threatening. No one knows why animals as big as moose get aggressive, they just do sometimes. That being said, on this particular occasion I was a little surprised when this animal swam across the river right at me. I had to move to get her attention , she swam around me. At one point it looked like she was going to climb out of the water and walk right over me, without noticing I was there.

Here's an interesting article about it.

I've also heard from the rangers in yellowstone that every year someone get seriously gored by a Buffalo, because they go up to and put try to put their arm around it posing for a picture. There would seem to be no end to the insanity when it comes to people and wild animals. I guess the rule of thumb is, it's it' wolverine size or larger, watch yourself. Even beaver will charge if they feel cornered. They are too slow to run away from anything, charging and biting is their only defense. I've seen one chasing a human with intent to gnaw. I'm happy to report that on a road, you can out run one. If you were off road in dense bush, I don't think I'd like your chances.

Last edited by normhead; 01-23-2011 at 06:41 AM.
01-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
This looks like a fun thread, so a couple from yesterday's drive around the area.

The Photo:
"Today, keeping fresh meat from going bad is pretty easy. Most of us just pop it
in the fridge and call it good. Preserving food before the age of refrigeration,
however, took a little more work.

The building before you is an old ice house. Like other ice houses once scattered
around the valley, this structure stored blocks of ice year-round, even during the
hot summer months. The ice house's construction played a key role in keeping
the ice from melting. Success depended on the thickness of the walls and its
insulation. Three-foot thick walls stuffed full of sawdust allowed the inside of the
house to remain cold. The ice that did melt flowed toward a drain located in the
center of the building. Water flowing down the drain could have potentially sped
up the melting process, which would reduce the longevity of the ice so many
relied on.

The ice came from Flathead Lake, Whitefish Lake, and other smaller surrounding
lakes. Once a lake froze over in mid-winter, workers could use handsaws to cut
out blocks of ice two by three feet in size. They would then load them on a sled
and haul them away to an ice house for storage."

The Photographer: Kodak M1033

The Photographer's Photo: K2000, 18-55 kit lense.
01-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stan Quote
This looks like a fun thread, so a couple from yesterday's drive around the area.

The Photo:
"Today, keeping fresh meat from going bad is pretty easy. Most of us just pop it
in the fridge and call it good. Preserving food before the age of refrigeration,
however, took a little more work.

The building before you is an old ice house. Like other ice houses once scattered
around the valley, this structure stored blocks of ice year-round, even during the
hot summer months. The ice house's construction played a key role in keeping
the ice from melting. Success depended on the thickness of the walls and its
insulation. Three-foot thick walls stuffed full of sawdust allowed the inside of the
house to remain cold. The ice that did melt flowed toward a drain located in the
center of the building. Water flowing down the drain could have potentially sped
up the melting process, which would reduce the longevity of the ice so many
relied on.

The ice came from Flathead Lake, Whitefish Lake, and other smaller surrounding
lakes. Once a lake froze over in mid-winter, workers could use handsaws to cut
out blocks of ice two by three feet in size. They would then load them on a sled
and haul them away to an ice house for storage."

The Photographer: Kodak M1033

The Photographer's Photo: K2000, 18-55 kit lense.

Interesting history lesson Stan. When I saw the first photo I thought he was taking a photo of the mound of dirt - and I thought you were going to say the ice house was built into the ground!
I like the shot of the building - it looks old, but not like it's going to fall apart - yet.

This puts things into perspective - as we get to spend our weekends trying to find photo ops, instead of having to try to cut as much ice from the lake as possible to get through next summer!

Tim
01-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stan that if fabulous!! What a cool intro and building! Great job! I love finding where the two meet and the context of you taking it just adds another dimension to the story.

thanks for posting!!

Last edited by tessfully; 01-24-2011 at 11:15 AM.
01-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #35
Pentaxian

A few years ago on 10 Mile Lake near Elliot Ontario, a guy from the lodge offered us a cold beer. It turned out upon further conversation,, that the beer was cooled with ice house house. The Lodge owner still comes up in the winter to cut the winter ice off the lake and fill the old ice house filled with saw dust. It wasn't as impressive a structure as this one, and I didn't take a picture. But, if you ever want a beer chilled on ice house ice, Ten Mile Lake Lodge, Elliot Lake, Ont. There's a portage between the town and the lake, but he' rent you a boat to go from town to the portage, meet you at the portage with his truck to carry your gear over, then set you up with another boat on the other side to use while you stay at the lodge. All the electricity comes from solar panels or generators and all the ice for coolers comes from the ice house.

01-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #36

Here is my contribution (although you can hardly see the camera)

This is me at an airshow taking a picture of Gary Ward's custom carbon fiber MX2 aerobatics plane.

RD
01-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WOW ... terrific colour... love love the photo of the plane, great sky! unique perspective! Really nice of the photographer too!!

01-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Centennial Ridges, Algonquin Park

The Photographer

Photographer's Photo

Photographer

and the Photo *-*

Last edited by tessfully; 01-25-2011 at 09:28 AM.
01-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and one more twosome

Photographer

and photo

01-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is one from the other end of the country (PEI-Nova Scotia Ferry)

Photographer, I have no idea of who it was....

.....but we were taken pictures of this:
01-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice series - Go Pentax!!!
01-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great series - here's my contribution: a commercial photo company (BoatPix.com) generally covers major sailboat races from the air to shoot for owners and sponsors. Occasionally, company photographers will spend a day or two in highly populated boating areas (like Galveston Bay) to take pictures randomely. The company then offers to send that owner big prints for big bucks.

During Memorial Day weekend in '08, we happened to have Cut Time on the Bay when these guys were about, and I caught (from the Deck) the photographer shooting us. The shoot out must have been a draw, since the chopper stayed airborne and we didn't sink.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 01-25-2011 at 01:49 PM.
01-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heinrich, I clicked on the image so I could see it larger and wow, is that ever cool! Very powerful water and it shows. Good catch on the photographer too.

Sailor, that is just so cool! I would be awesome if you could have seen his photos.

Thanks for posting ... really enjoying these...
01-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Centennial Ridges, Algonquin Park
Now you are making me dizzy. There's no way I'd come that close to the edge...

The images are lovely though. What a place. I'm guessing mid-May?
01-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kammerer... It was end of April, and such a spectacular time to see the view with new growth erupting.