Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
October Life
Posted By: clarenceclose, 12-08-2006, 07:02 PM

I love it when you can clearly see the picture you want in your mind, and it comes out just like you wanted. C&C appreciated.

Views: 1,814
12-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good morning Clarence (Sunday morning here in oz, trapped by the smog from the surrounding country bushfire).

Again, this photo is poetic having a touch of mirage effect. Wished the leaves could take up more space on the top, the lower portion of the photo seems a bit obsolete... Your words fit the theme well. Without words there, it seems something would be missing.

Maybe you could selectively brighten up the fence in the dark? Enhance the details and colours a lot more? Just a thought

BTW I am not sure how many poems you could generate if you just walked down the hill in your street.

Thanks for sharing
12-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Really love the colours, Clarence. I'm a real fan of sunlight on translucent leaves, and times when I've tried to capture it before have often failed (ussually due to the wrong exposure) - you've caught it nicely here. I particularly like the way the leaves are brought out against the dark background.

Your poem is touching and unique - I've not seen text on photos like this before, so I daresay it'll take me a few more photos to get used to it!

Duncan.
12-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is a fence in the background? I had to crank up the brightness on my screen to see it, and even then I could just barely do it.

I like how you can see the sunlight let through by the leaves above the ones you show. However, the overall photo is just a touch too minimalist, to provoke any more of a reaction. I like minimalist (it's a contrast from the rest of my life. ), but I wish you had included a few more details.

12-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old technique

I with those that want a brighter fence; but not just brighter, it needs some texture. As is it seems 'blocked-up'--maybe posterized. Contrast masking come to mind; maybe with a mask for the leaves/maybe not. Be happy to provide directions; google can also find the technique.
12-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all your comments.

The boards you can see, with some screen brightening or other methods, are on a cabin/building.

This was shot with a P&S camera on the best .jpg setting but there will be a lot of blockiness in the dark areas as there is very little information, but my statement at the top of the photo "I love it when you can clearly see the picture you want in your mind, and it comes out just like you wanted." means, to my mind, this bottom wants to be dark.

jfdavis58, would not the vision of a textured fence background change the whole photograph?

For me with the composition of the picture, it is like sitting beneath the tree, with the sunlight backlighting the leaves and needles. I saw the dark negative space as a positive asset to the brightness of the leaves.

I don't claim to be a Japanese artist, by any stretch of the imagination, but this struck me as almost Japanese minimalist in its completeness. Hence the addition of the Haiku.

Roentarre, some days there is poetry in my soul and it must come out.
12-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #7

nice.. & beautyful.. just like a post card

12-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I love this photograph. This is a very artistic picture, for that reason it doesn't have to bring out all the details. In a way it exemplifies the simplicity of nature, invoking a feeling of peace inside of us. (at least it does for me)
12-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
simple yet very effective!

nice shot

randy
12-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all. Would that every photo could communicate what I visualize. Practice, practice, practice.
12-13-2006, 10:12 PM   #11

Clarence, you have been so good to give me feedback so I thought I'd post on this one. I really like the simplicity. This photo seems to want you to enter in to it.

If you visaulized this shot and got what you want, you are ahead of 99% of photographers. You should be pleased. Very nice - especially with the poem.

Ed