Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dutch Reformed Church, Graaff-Reinet
Lens: DAL 18-55mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Graaff-Reinet, South Africa ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: altopiet, 01-20-2011, 07:31 AM

This is my first try at Architecture, and PP specifically for vertical line correction. Any comment and or tips are welcome

Before

After

After #2

Last edited by altopiet; 01-20-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Add photo
Views: 5,013
01-20-2011, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

beautiful shot, but I'd prefer the original, it looks more natural to me.
01-20-2011, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful Church. Where is it. Would prefer a bit more space on each side. Second of course (?) is best. How could anyone say the first looks natural when it is distorted by the lens?
01-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Igor. I must agree that I would also rather go for the original. I just don't have an idea what the norm is with this type of photography. I've just seen that it can be done, and tried it.

01-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Beautiful Church. Where is it. Would prefer a bit more space on each side. Second of course (?) is best. How could anyone say the first looks natural when it is distorted by the lens?
Hi Sparkle. It is in my home town, Graaff-Reinet, South Africa, and one of the main tourist attractions. It was constructed between 1886 and 1887. I cropped it like that because of new buildings surrounding it. I go past this church a few times every day and despite the vertical lines not being straight in the first photo, the second one just does not seem the same as I see it every day. But looking from your perspective, not having seen it before, I can understand why you say the second looks better
01-20-2011, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great church, such can't be found here

The norm? Well, what is the norm? I'd say: best looking is not completely corrected, just keep a tiny bit of distortion....
01-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Great church, such can't be found here

The norm? Well, what is the norm? I'd say: best looking is not completely corrected, just keep a tiny bit of distortion....

01-20-2011, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I'd disagree. I think distortion should either be deliberately or none. A little bit is distracting. Just imho of course though. I'd prefer the first with a little bit more distortion. Second one is good, and would be my pick. Maybe the new buildings can be incorporated into the photography? A lot of architectural photographs that I like have two of the three 'near-middle-far' element, so I thought including a tree or urban element for framing would be nice too.

Another thing is that I'm guessing this is not the main entrance? I couldn't find a door in the photo with big enough size to accommodate the sunday churchgoers.
01-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I'd disagree. I think distortion should either be deliberately or none. A little bit is distracting. Just imho of course though. I'd prefer the first with a little bit more distortion. Second one is good, and would be my pick. Maybe the new buildings can be incorporated into the photography? A lot of architectural photographs that I like have two of the three 'near-middle-far' element, so I thought including a tree or urban element for framing would be nice too.

Another thing is that I'm guessing this is not the main entrance? I couldn't find a door in the photo with big enough size to accommodate the sunday churchgoers.
Andi, I'll try a few other angles, next week, trying to add something else to the photo. You are right, this is actually taken from the back corner of the church, the front entrance is at the tower side. For the normal tourist shot, you have to stand in the middle of, yes... "Church" street, the main street in town, and it was to busy to do that. I'll see about getting a shot early one morning perhaps
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Christo - nice images of a beautiful church. I'll have to say I prefer the corrected image (2d one), but I'll also have to admit I never correct my own wide-angle shots - so, what do I know?

Anyway, it's great to experiment.

Jer
01-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jer.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Anyway, it's great to experiment.
I can not agree more!
01-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I like the third one best, but..... the church could use more space..... So, next time when you're planning such a correction, set some steps back...
01-20-2011, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The distortion correction is fine, and nicely done in the third shot (compressed a bit in vertical axis compared to second shot, right?) Correction of perspective distortion was the whole point of rising fronts on view and press cameras. Professional architectural photographers did and do use it routinely, unless dramatically converging lines are desired. With my (now retired) LX, I used a 28mm shift Takumar to get rid of converging verticals, but that was a big, heavy lens - a pain to transport unless going specifically to one building for a particuar shot. No way I could carry that lens on vacation to Europe anticipating at least some shots of tall buildings. PP is MUCH more satisfactory.
01-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Well, again on a deeper level, most churches, are falling into themselves.
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perspective is not distortion, it's reality your eye compensates for. The camera-->subject distance means with a wide angle lens the base of the building is significantly closer to the camera than the roof, therefore the roof is smaller and the walls must lean in.

With a long lens, the difference in distances is slight, which makes the subject appear flat, though with straight sides.

If you over-correct and make tall buildings straight, it creates an optical illusion making it appear to get wider going up, because your eye expects it to taper upward. That is what is happening in #2.

I have no problem with #1, though I can accept #3 as well.
Closed Thread