Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Thunder Bay trip
Camera: K-x Photo Location: Thunder Bay, ON, Canada 
Posted By: audiobomber, 01-20-2011, 10:58 AM

For your comment. A few from my trip to Thunder Bay Ontario, at the top of Lake Superior.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/ThunderBay2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCJGwptDfk_26OQ#
Views: 3,115
01-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the second one, and I like the "feel" of the 5th one - a lone truck on the road, out in the middle of nowhere. We did "The Circle Tour" 5 or 6 years ago, and I remember that once we left Thunder Bay (heading east) there were periods of 20 minutes or so (at 50 MPH) where we wouldn't see another vehicle on the road. #5 does a good job of conveying that feeling.

Tim
01-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I'm drawn to # 4 with a bit of crop of the sky. Quite colorful.
01-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love #2. See this often in winter here.

01-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shots! #2 is my favorite.
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

That's why I like # 4. you can see the others most anywhere.
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

#1 is the shot for any of us who lived along the St. Lawrence seaway. I saw the same shot whenever I walked down to the river. I have no doubt that ship passed within a half mile of my house every year when I was growing up near the Detroit River in Windsor. The last shot must be the "Sleeping Giant" with his head cut off in the fog. Just a guess.

01-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I live in Thunder Bay!!!! I know where each and every one of those pics were taken! Great shots of my home town and thanks for sharing!
01-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
I like the second one, and I like the "feel" of the 5th one - a lone truck on the road, out in the middle of nowhere. We did "The Circle Tour" 5 or 6 years ago, and I remember that once we left Thunder Bay (heading east) there were periods of 20 minutes or so (at 50 MPH) where we wouldn't see another vehicle on the road. #5 does a good job of conveying that feeling.

Tim
The backlit black spruce is my favourite. I shot a number of times as I was cruising down the highway, with the camera held in the crook of my left arm. I may do a tryptich with them.

Nice to see that the feeling of the truck on the lonely road came across. I shot that one a 100 km an hour too.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-20-2011 at 07:17 PM.
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
I'm drawn to # 4 with a bit of crop of the sky. Quite colorful.
Yes, sometimes the K-x's propensity to go blue in daylight really works. I have quite a few of this scene, shot at different focal lengths with the 16-45.
01-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Love #2. See this often in winter here.
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Beautiful shots! #2 is my favorite.
Thanks guys. That's my favourite too. I was pretty happy when I saw it on the screen later, considering the conditions (i.e. driving down a highway at dusk).

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-20-2011 at 07:18 PM.
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
That's why I like # 4. you can see the others most anywhere.
Thunder Bay is chock full of rugged and unusual geography. The river bottom in that shot is terraced for a long way.
01-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
#1 is the shot for any of us who lived along the St. Lawrence seaway. I saw the same shot whenever I walked down to the river. I have no doubt that ship passed within a half mile of my house every year when I was growing up near the Detroit River in Windsor.
I liked the contrast of the colourful boat against the drab landscape.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The last shot must be the "Sleeping Giant" with his head cut off in the fog. Just a guess.
That's actually Mount McKay, originally known as "Thunder Mountain" (Animikii-wajiw in Ojibwe). There's a road and a lookout at about half height. To get to the top you have to hike. I've never had time to do the hike.

Here's a shot with the Sleeping Giant in the background. His head is near the lighthouse, his arms folded across his chest:

01-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leana Quote
I live in Thunder Bay!!!! I know where each and every one of those pics were taken! Great shots of my home town and thanks for sharing!
I love visiting Thunder Bay. I used to go 5-6 times a year but only annually now, and photography time is short.

Below are some from my 2008 trip. I'm sure you'll recognize most of these. The little church is on Hwy 11, just north of Nipigon. I shot the Palisades up that way but I couldn't capture them to my liking. Maybe another time with the right light. One of these days I have to get to the North American mammal zoo. I went once, but unfortunately without my camera.

Picasa Web Albums - Dan Bonhomme - Thunder Bay W...
01-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Great photos and with some well-deserved praise! I do like each one for different reasons. I most especially like the way you integrate culture, nature and society into your images. They are all amazing.