Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
The Face of Alzheimers
Camera: K-x Photo Location: Nanny's House 
Posted By: tessfully, 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM

A snapshot of my grandmother and her dog. Both in their 90's by human standards.

(Edited after comments)

Flush

Last edited by tessfully; 01-27-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: take out some pictures
Views: 3,090
01-20-2011, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shots are excellent, although it is difficult to respond to this type of post. The suffering we can, and too often do, endure is not easily discussed when it is right before your eyes. Much easier if it is spoken about in short sentences under circumstances far distant from the reality.

I have seen the faces, I have seen the suffering, and it is not a pretty sight. No one is immune, no one is untouched. God have mercy on those that must suffer this beast of a disease, and those that must witness that suffering first hand.
Regards
01-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

It is so sad seeing your loved ones get old, I am going through that with my mom. Plus I just had my cat put to sleep after 20 years.

Really nice photos.
01-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Try to concentrate on the good times.

01-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The shots are excellent, although it is difficult to respond to this type of post. The suffering we can, and too often do, endure is not easily discussed when it is right before your eyes. Much easier if it is spoken about in short sentences under circumstances far distant from the reality.

I have seen the faces, I have seen the suffering, and it is not a pretty sight. No one is immune, no one is untouched. God have mercy on those that must suffer this beast of a disease, and those that must witness that suffering first hand.
Regards
Beautifully said.
01-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Beautifully said.

Bless All
01-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards
Rupert, Thank you for sharing your compassion and wisdom. So true ... all of your words really resonated. And thanks Sparkle, Bill and Bob for your kind words too.

PentaxKX, I am sorry to hear your mom is suffering from Alzheimer's and also about the loss of your cat... I also know the pain of losing an animal companion, (amazing you had 20 years, what a gift).

From the point of view of the photograph, there are three I took that I think show the emptiness in her eyes. The dog has a cataract and I think his age really shows as well. I guess they are not pretty pictures, but I am pleased with the way they turned out...

thanks again

Last edited by tessfully; 01-21-2011 at 08:18 AM.
01-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

These are very moving photos tess. Hard pictures to take and hard to look at but that is what photography should be. You have been able to convey the devastation of the disease and the toll it takes.
01-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Rupert, Thank you for sharing your compassion and wisdom. So true ... all of your words really resonated. And thanks Sparkle, Bill and Bob for your kind words too.

PentaxKX, I am sorry to hear your mom is suffering from Alzheimer's and also about the loss of your cat... I also know the pain of losing an animal companion, (amazing you had 20 years, what a gift).

From the point of view of the photograph, there are three I took that I think show the emptiness in her eyes. The dog has a cataract and I think his age really shows as well. I guess they are not pretty pictures, but I am pleased with the way they turned out...

thanks again
Tessfully,

Thank you for your kind words. I thought I was doing Okay with my cat, till I posted him here for my Avatar. It kind of hit me again.

This thread is so true to life.
01-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very moving photo - puts a face, in fact, on a dreadful disease.

Jer
01-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eating Cookies

Thanks Slowpez and Sailor.... So relieved to know my photos work on several levels.

PentaxKX, hope you don't mind me sharing this, but the pets we have been so close to in our life-time visit us in our dreams every once in a while, in a very real and tactile way. I think they check up on us to make sure we are doing okay.

*.*

I took those above photos of my nan and her dog this past Wednesday. I also did a photo shoot of her hands I have titled "Eating Cookies." I am not sure if these have any photographic value outside of my own learning curve and enjoyment. But all the same, I am happy to have somewhere to post the series.

Eating Cookies

01-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

"Its the memories that keep us going and sometimes they are carried by our love ones or Friends for us." Beautiful image Tess JIMBO
01-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think the first shot is very good, but why the strange colour cast?
01-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jimbo for commenting and sharing such nice thoughts.

CWyatt... sepia just suited these shots. It took away the redness around and in her eyes and the rash on her skin. I would just say the colour cast was my subjective choice for the photos. Glad you liked the first ... it is special to me.

cheers
01-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Agree not to use colour, but I would like to see B&W version too perhaps. Might just be my screen, but the sepia here looks quite 'red', but this might also be because the photo also looks a stop or so underexposed?