Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cats are hard to shoot!
Posted By: joelw135, 10-08-2007, 05:34 AM

This is a photo of my Desert Lynx named Dylan. He is a cross between a American Bobcat and a domestic cat. Getting him to pose is impossible and in the correct place is harder. I think even with the white background I got his expression. CC is always welcome.

Views: 1,478
10-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Any animal is hard to capture I find ... unless you have a very co-operative pet.

I have issues trying to capture my Border Collie ... she never stops ... I give up.
10-08-2007, 05:59 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It is frustrating isn't it. I have tried everything to get Dylan to sit still, but his wild nature prevents this. He climbs to the highest point in a room and then hides and waits for someone to pass then he pounces. I have tried to catch this but no luck yet.
10-08-2007, 06:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This is a great photo! You nailed the eyes!! (ok... that sounded kinda gross but you know what I meant )

10-08-2007, 06:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
This is a great photo! You nailed the eyes!! (ok... that sounded kinda gross but you know what I meant )
Thank you, if you knew all the problems I was having with focus on my new K100D Super you would laugh. The problem was not the camera it was my stupid mistake of trying to shoot with the wrong ISO.
10-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #6

Hi,

Just wondering..did you try the scene mode set for cats? and if you did, did it work or is it a bit of a gimmick??
10-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I like the photo. The two tone background combined with the bright red collar gives it good visual impact.

My cat is a giant camera hound. The moment I yank my camera out, he is strutting and posing to get his photo taken. It is quite funny to watch. So no, can't say I have to work hard to get his photo.

10-09-2007, 06:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixel_uk Quote
Hi,

Just wondering..did you try the scene mode set for cats? and if you did, did it work or is it a bit of a gimmick??
To be very honest, I forgot all about the Scene mode. Now I really feel stupid.
10-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
I like the photo. The two tone background combined with the bright red collar gives it good visual impact.

My cat is a giant camera hound. The moment I yank my camera out, he is strutting and posing to get his photo taken. It is quite funny to watch. So no, can't say I have to work hard to get his photo.
Dylan is my second time at cat ownership, my first died from the cat food poison from China. We waited many months before we bought Dylan. Grace was an easy going cat didn't mind you getting up close for photos. Dylan on the other hand is more like his Bobcat cousins and is very friendly but never stops moving. We are still wondering if he will reach the 25 pounds that the breed sometimes gets. Some even larger, we are hoping not, but we will be happy no matter what.
10-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joelw135 Quote
It is frustrating isn't it. I have tried everything to get Dylan to sit still, but his wild nature prevents this. He climbs to the highest point in a room and then hides and waits for someone to pass then he pounces. I have tried to catch this but no luck yet.
Well, I wouldn't want to be the "lure" for your attempts to catch him pouncing... LOL... My male cat does that to and it hurts when he bats you on the top of the head and happens to have a claw or 2 out. OUCH!

Nice shot!

p.s. sorry to hear about your first cat, Grace. Losing a pet is never easy, and its even worse when it's from something so unexpected.
10-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Well, I wouldn't want to be the "lure" for your attempts to catch him pouncing... LOL... My male cat does that to and it hurts when he bats you on the top of the head and happens to have a claw or 2 out. OUCH!

Nice shot!

p.s. sorry to hear about your first cat, Grace. Losing a pet is never easy, and its even worse when it's from something so unexpected.
Thank you for the kind words, loosing Grace was horrible and the way it happened made it worse. Our country has to start controlling the imports from China to prevent this happening again.

Your correct Dylan swats me with his claws when he uses me as prey in his games. I sometimes think I am his personal toy.