Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A (Rather) Rare Sight . . . .
Lens: DA 70L Camera: K20D Photo Location: Our House ISO: 400 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM

. . . . . around here: a hard frost. It hit 26F last night but recovery is predicted to be quick, with a high of about 60F and sunny today.

Jer

Views: 1,724
01-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to smile at your photos ... I live in the north country and to wake up to your morning would require shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt. This morning was minus 15 F.and it was like my breath froze in my lungs when I took the dogs out for their morning pee!

I love your first shot with sun starting to move across the roof. Looks like you have some big old trees around your place too. How nice!
01-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The thaw will come Jer; sooner for you than tessfully.
01-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I have to smile at your photos ... I live in the north country and to wake up to your morning would require shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt. This morning was minus 15 F.and it was like my breath froze in my lungs when I took the dogs out for their morning pee!

I love your first shot with sun starting to move across the roof. Looks like you have some big old trees around your place too. How nice!
Thanks for the kind words. I lived most of my life in the northern US, so I understand how nice a morning at 26F can be in January. However, since moving here from Michigan in '95, my blood had grown thin (not to mention a bit older).

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
The thaw will come Jer; sooner for you than tessfully.
Yup - in fact it already came - I think it's about 50F out now with not a cloud in the sky. Bet I'll have the top down on the roadster this PM!

Jer

01-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good ones for the family home archives.
I'd heard of TX getting cold in parts inland - much the same phenomenon as we have in the part of Queensland I'm currently in, one of the coldest in the sunshine state...
Take care.
01-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You want to talk about cold. It was -48C here for the last 3 days. I'll take -16 anyday. hell i\d go outside in a t-shirt and shorts!
01-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Take you dog out in that Pauld and he'd pee icicles.

01-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
You want to talk about cold. It was -48C here for the last 3 days. I'll take -16 anyday. hell i\d go outside in a t-shirt and shorts!
haha... I wondered when I posted that if someone from up your way would one-up me on the temps! Gawd Pauld, that is cold!
01-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I find strangely draw to the first one mesmerizing with the pattern TFS Jer

cheers
01-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm jealous jer.... it was all of 1.8 degrees this morning about 7am... we're warmin' up to a balmy 22 today, with a wind chill knockin' it down to 5-10...... a heat wave !@(*&^#
charliezap (about an hour north of me) and i are hunkered down in our respective igloos...
dave m
01-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good ones for the family home archives.
I'd heard of TX getting cold in parts inland - much the same phenomenon as we have in the part of Queensland I'm currently in, one of the coldest in the sunshine state...
Take care.
I had the same idea - and you're right, it can get much colder in north and west Texas than we see. The coastal plain is subtropical, but we still get some chilly weather on occasion. It has snowed only once in the 16 years we've lived here - several years ago, we got about 6 inches on - believe it or not - Christmas Eve (before my DSLR). It lasted only a day or so.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I can't even imagine - even having spent years in Boston, Ohio and Michigan.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I find strangely draw to the first one mesmerizing with the pattern TFS Jer

cheers
Thanks, Ivan. I appreciate it.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
i'm jealous jer.... it was all of 1.8 degrees this morning about 7am... we're warmin' up to a balmy 22 today, with a wind chill knockin' it down to 5-10...... a heat wave !@(*&^#
charliezap (about an hour north of me) and i are hunkered down in our respective igloos...
dave m
Dave, you guys are getting nailed up there this year. The three years I lived in Boston, we had very mild winters with little snow, but folks told me it wasn't typical.

Jer