Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Optio Panoramas
Lens: Optio Camera: W90 Photo Location: Whitney Ontario Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: normhead, 01-22-2011, 09:10 AM

One of the really cool features on the newer Optio WRs is the panorama function. Lakes are frozen now and it's -20 C, so a few days ago on a snowshoe I took a vertical pan of a pair of very tall White Pines, on one of our snow shoeing trails. This is an "on board" feature that stitches your photos right on the camera. So, post your point and shoot panoramas here.

Views: 1,489
01-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #2

The trees have a weird kink about 45% up from the bottom. Were the trees special like that or is that an artifact from stitching?

Very fun for a P&S. Is it pretty easy to do, or does it take a few tries to get it right?
01-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's very easy to do, as for the kink, however yesterday wasnt' the best lighting conditions. Those patches of snow were what I used for my alignment, so that kink could very well be the alignment point. Usually it's easier to align things better. I'm sure someone will post some better shots.
01-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Nice idea, regardless.

01-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is a panorama I took this fall with the OptionW80

01-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like both images, but Tess yours is better, sorry Norm. I will have to take a look at our p/s's and see what they have. It is amazing how many options they are equipped with, yet I fail to use most. thanks Bob
Oh, is that your cat???
01-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks Bob! The panorama's are really good to use for banners on websites or advertising flyers. They are also provide a really nice perspective without any warping if lined up right. That was such a beautiful fall day... my plan is to snowshoe into that like to the same campsite for a sunrise shot.

The avatar is not of my cat. Just a photo someone sent me as it is sooo funny. I will replace it with one of my own animals.

cheers, and thanks for the comments!
01-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your doggie is cute tess but I miss that silly cat. Love your pano. Can't believe it will do that in-camera, even Norm's vertical shot. Amazing.

01-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I like both images, but Tess yours is better, sorry Norm.
Ya, sometimes I post tess' images just so people will say nice things about them. No one has to know they weren't mine.
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had no idea you could do such a thing with a W80 (lost the manual). I presume this can be done underwater as well. Tell me how, please.
01-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Ron, I don't think I need to find the manual to explain this... select mode and then scroll across till you see Digital Panorama, Press OK and a screen will come up that asks you to select direction. After selecting the direction you want to start your panorama in take the first picture. An icon lights up with three windows. Take the first photo, wait a second and the image will appear, move your camera until the edges of the photo on your camera and the subject are lined up, take the second photo, and then repeat for the third.

I have found that finding a clear edge for the first image helps me to line up the second, it is the luck of the draw with the third frame, but in the right lighting conditions not hard to achieve good results.

here is another pretty shot, but you can see the kink in the log in the foreground where I missed a perfect alignment

01-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

WOW--Tess. That is so easy and works surprisingly seamlessly. I wish my K20D did that.
I would image that would also work under water, except that without being able to use the underwater mode, the WB might be off, but probably not so much I can't adjust it in PP.
Did I say WOW?
WOW