Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Behind the falls - Part II.....
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Minneapolis, Mn - USA ISO: 400 
Posted By: UpNorth, 01-22-2011, 06:55 PM

We got some hazy sun this morning, so I headed back to the same falls I shot last Saturday, to see what the sunlight does coming through the ice. For perspective, here's a shot of the whole area.....

Not trying to do anything with this shot other than give some background. The snow-covered clumps of ice on the left are the actuals falls. All the vertical ice to the right of the falls has nothing to do with the creek, and is there due to (I believe) a combination of ground water "leakage" and snow melt from the area above. That vertical ice is the stuff I'm getting behind for the following shots.....

#7 (My favorite of the day)

If you compare last week's shots to the last couple here you'll see that the back side of this ice has gotten much more rough over the last week. That's due to the fact that there was actually water running behind it this week. That's noteworthy because since Monday evening it has been below zero here every night - with temps rising only into the single digits above zero (F) during the day. Logic would seem to indicate the ice would be MORE frozen - not less - this week. I guess that just shows the power of the sun.

The ice was getting "soft" enough that I doubt I'll get back behind there again this winter - so I hope all of you have enjoyed the view from "behind the falls" for this season.

Thanks for looking.....

Tim
Views: 3,860
01-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WOW WOW WOW. Thanks for posting these.
01-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #3

That's amazing, and well taken - thanks for posting - we will never see that here!
01-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoyed that Laddie. Jolly good show!

01-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
WOW WOW WOW. Thanks for posting these.
Thanks EyeSpy.
01-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MattC Quote
That's amazing, and well taken - thanks for posting - we will never see that here!
I appreciate it Matt. Yeah - It sure is something to see. Of course, in order to get that we have to spend a lot of time below zero - so there's trade-offs.

Thanks for looking & commenting,

Tim
01-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Those were pretty COOL!
Ice offers unique photo opportunities and you did a nice job with them.
Well done....

01-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

These are great UN ! They are dramatically different from the late afternoon ones, I thought they might be and I'm pleased you found the time to go up there and shoot these for us. Great series - much enjoyed and almost impossible to pick a favourite but I'll go with #3 or maybe 4 or 5 !
01-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Tim - a great "encore"! The last one knocks me out.

Jer
01-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love this series.... my favorite is 5 where just a glimpse of the blue sky peeks through.....
dave m
01-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My favorites are 2, 5, 6, and 7. But I would really be hard pressed to find fault with any of them. I am so glad you went back and posted more of these. They are beautiful.
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnny9fingers Quote
Those were pretty COOL!
Ice offers unique photo opportunities and you did a nice job with them.
Well done....
Thanks johnny. It was "cool" - especially compared to last week's shots (last Saturday 14F, this Saturday 3F at the time I was out there)! Funny thing too - the K20D performed perfectly. Even with changing lenses, it was fine. In 3 years of shooting with the K20D I've never run into a problem with the camera being "too cold".

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
These are great UN ! They are dramatically different from the late afternoon ones, I thought they might be and I'm pleased you found the time to go up there and shoot these for us. Great series - much enjoyed and almost impossible to pick a favourite but I'll go with #3 or maybe 4 or 5 !
Glad you noticed the difference Frogfish. I was afraid that everyone would just think it was more of the same - but the light DID make a difference. (Of course we have FULL sun today, but I'm happy enough with what I got yesterday I'm not tempted to go back AGAIN!)

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Tim - a great "encore"! The last one knocks me out.

Jer
Thanks Jer. That one was my favorite too.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
love this series.... my favorite is 5 where just a glimpse of the blue sky peeks through.....
dave m
That was my wife's favorite too Dave - and it's growing on me. Thanks for taking a look.....

Tim
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are fabulous, Tim! They're even better than your first set because of the lighting. The blue of the ice and the textures are super. Well done. Glad you had no mishaps!
01-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
My favorites are 2, 5, 6, and 7. But I would really be hard pressed to find fault with any of them. I am so glad you went back and posted more of these. They are beautiful.
Thanks Susan - Glad you enjoyed them.

Tim
01-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
These are fabulous, Tim! They're even better than your first set because of the lighting. The blue of the ice and the textures are super. Well done. Glad you had no mishaps!
That's what I was hoping for Tamia. This trip was a lot more of an "adventure" getting up & down to & from the falls, and getting up & down once at the falls, so I'm glad I got some different looks from the ice. I guess I'm also glad that the ice conditions dictate that this will be my last time down there for this season!

Thanks for taking the time to look & comment,

Tim