Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Behind the falls - Part II.....
Posted By: UpNorth, 01-22-2011, 06:55 PM

We got some hazy sun this morning, so I headed back to the same falls I shot last Saturday, to see what the sunlight does coming through the ice. For perspective, here's a shot of the whole area.....

Not trying to do anything with this shot other than give some background. The snow-covered clumps of ice on the left are the actuals falls. All the vertical ice to the right of the falls has nothing to do with the creek, and is there due to (I believe) a combination of ground water "leakage" and snow melt from the area above. That vertical ice is the stuff I'm getting behind for the following shots.....

#7 (My favorite of the day)

If you compare last week's shots to the last couple here you'll see that the back side of this ice has gotten much more rough over the last week. That's due to the fact that there was actually water running behind it this week. That's noteworthy because since Monday evening it has been below zero here every night - with temps rising only into the single digits above zero (F) during the day. Logic would seem to indicate the ice would be MORE frozen - not less - this week. I guess that just shows the power of the sun.

The ice was getting "soft" enough that I doubt I'll get back behind there again this winter - so I hope all of you have enjoyed the view from "behind the falls" for this season.

Thanks for looking.....

Tim
Views: 3,864
01-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome! i've never seen anything like this, thanks for sharing.

01-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn! #4 or #6 really needs to be hangin' on your wall as a big print... The blues of the ice against the browns of the limestone is really eye-catching...

Jim
01-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAMOS79 Quote
Awesome! i've never seen anything like this, thanks for sharing.
Thanks Ramos. It seemed like it would give a different perspective, and I'm glad I ventured back there.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Damn! #4 or #6 really needs to be hangin' on your wall as a big print... The blues of the ice against the browns of the limestone is really eye-catching...

Jim
Funny thing is that when I look at this post on my PC at work the colors aren't near as vibrant as looking at them "native" - theough Aperture 3 on my Mac. The colors really pop there, and look much closer to what I really saw. Thanks for taking a look, and taking time to comment Jim.....

Tim
01-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

the are really amazing... wowowowowowow ... the frozen smooth-as-glass water in 4, 6 and 7 juxtaposed by the ragged icicles really sets those apart. ?V?ery nice.

by the way, I have the same experience between my Mac and aperture 3 and my PC monitor. Hard to know what to do about that, eh? Anyway, on this Apple monitor the colours do POP... I will go have a look on my PC to see if there is a huge difference.

01-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Tim, I am on my PC now and they are definately not as vibrant or deep as on the apple monitor. However, they are very luminescent here.
01-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
the are really amazing... wowowowowowow ... the frozen smooth-as-glass water in 4, 6 and 7 juxtaposed by the ragged icicles really sets those apart. ?V?ery nice.

by the way, I have the same experience between my Mac and aperture 3 and my PC monitor. Hard to know what to do about that, eh? Anyway, on this Apple monitor the colours do POP... I will go have a look on my PC to see if there is a huge difference.
Thanks Tess - glad you enjoyed them. Mine is just the winter version of your laying under the falls shot from the "Photographer and Photo" thread!

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Tim, I am on my PC now and they are definately not as vibrant or deep as on the apple monitor. However, they are very luminescent here.
I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I'd like them to calibrate my crappy Dell monitor here at work, but I think I'd have a hard time convincing the powers-that-be that the monitor needs a tune-up because I'm having trouble with the colors in my Excel spreadsheets and SAP financial reporting tool!

Tim
01-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are great Tim,

I've often wondered how things looked from back there. Thanks for taking us into new territory.

Tom G

01-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
These are great Tim,

I've often wondered how things looked from back there. Thanks for taking us into new territory.

Tom G

Thanks Tom.

Tim