Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Spotting the Pronghorn
Lens: Sigma 70-300 APO Camera: Kx Photo Location: Northern Colorado ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/3000s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 01-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Spotted some pronghorn while out hiking with the dog. Kind of like this one.

Views: 1,502
01-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the capture, especially with the dog blurred, watching the antelope. You must be in the prairie somewhere, I have seen elk, deer, bear and other wildlife in CO, but never the antelope. Seems like they are always up in WY. Bob
01-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are more antelope in Wyoming than there are people Bob although I don't know why, it is a beautiful state.
I like the shot but wish the antelope were a little larger in the frame.
01-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like this a lot. The OOF alert dog suits this photo, I think. The light is lovely, too.

01-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Forum Member

i like how blured the dog is. you can only make out his shape. awesome!
01-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. This was shot in Pawnee National Grasslands. It is about 1.5 million acres of mixed grassland, semi desert and sandstone basins in northern Colorado. Plenty of room to explore.

Slowpez, I could have got a closer shot if I wanted to wait for a while. Pronghorn are naturally curious so if you stay low and don't move much, they sometimes come very close to you. A couple things were working against me though, my two dogs This was shot at 270mm I believe.
01-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Thanks everyone. This was shot in Pawnee National Grasslands. It is about 1.5 million acres of mixed grassland, semi desert and sandstone basins in northern Colorado. Plenty of room to explore.

Slowpez, I could have got a closer shot if I wanted to wait for a while. Pronghorn are naturally curious so if you stay low and don't move much, they sometimes come very close to you. A couple things were working against me though, my two dogs This was shot at 270mm I believe.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about pronghorns and gave up trying to get close. I'll give it a try when we head west again this spring. I know that with prairie dogs you can get close if you stay in your car but if you get out they are so gone. Susan