Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I love this lens, 10 mostly landscape pic's
Posted By: little laker, 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM

I don't use this lens all that often these days, but it's given me more good photos than the rest of my lenses combined.

The weather wasn't the best for photo's, but I made the best out of it
Here's 10 pictures from today

This was hanging inside a barn

no it wasn't a noose, just a loop.

this is the barn the rope was hanging in

I had to blow the clouds out a little with this shot

I love this part.......
The lens that I used is.......
......... The 18-55mm Kit Lens for every pic
And I thought that some people said it's lousy for landscapes

This just proves that our camera gear is nothing more than a tool, and if it doesn't do what we want it to it's often our fault
Views: 1,915
10-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Art..

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
This just proves that our camera gear is nothing more than a tool, and if it doesn't do what we want it to it's often our fault
You are soo right Laker.. Art is definately what you make a person makes of it... it just being able to think out of the box and try new things.. sometimes that is all it takes to make something that seems limited...and turn it into something that is not..

Great pics!!!
10-09-2007, 03:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hee hee ... nice work Stu.

Especially with the 18-55mm ... after only having this one lens to take shots with all the time ... i was hanging to use something else ... but now .. I somehow keep going back to the basic little kit lens for some shots ... as I am quite impressed with it for a "kit lens".

Originally I was trying to think of something to eventually replace it ... but now ... I think it will be a keeper and will always be in the camera bag for when it is needed.
10-09-2007, 04:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I second and third that motion.

Stu, the colour on your shots always amazes me.

10-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice series Stu although the noose hanging in barn is a little disturbing - Yes indeed while i no longer have the jit lens - I do miss it as you are correct the flaws with that piece of equipment are usually operator induced.
10-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm a fan of the kit lens also - main thing is, it doesn't weigh a ton, and the results can be very good. Your own samples show the vignetting tendency but that's not hard to correct with the right software. Actually I've got two, so when one wears out I can use the other ... )
I use it with my 24-90 - a good dose of overlap minimises lens changing.
Of course for those occasions when you're not walking around for hours the 12-24 is much better - but I don't like carrying that sort of weight when I'm travelling.

Tim
10-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots Stu. That was a tease keeping us waiting till the end of the post to reveal the lens. It is a truly versatile lens.

Paul

10-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I really enjoyed using it yesterday for a change.
I had do do a fair amount of walking as it was, and using a Zoom really reduced the amount

Your right about the vignetting Timo, but it's so minor that I can live with it in these photo's.
I believe that my software can eliminate it, although I've only used it to add it to some of my images
10-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #9

those shots do look really great.
10-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #10

Well done, Stu,

I really lliked those pictures, they really capture the spirit of that old barn and all that is now missing from the scene.

As for the rope, any old farmer will know that most ropes need a loop (not a noose) on the end. Not disturbing at all.

John
10-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Vignetting, flare and vignetting!! aaaaargh

I loved the 18-55 for it's sharpness and colors from day one, but I can't get used to this faults. How come a lens that is already for a 1.5 crop has this much vignetting? I hate it now.

I'm ready to buy a Sigma 17-70 (if it weren't for the huge 72mm filters I'll have to buy all again, I'd have done it long ago).
10-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Vignetting, flare and vignetting!! aaaaargh
I hear ya there!

When I have the kit lens on, I try to avoid 18mm. Unless I purposefully want vignetting. What was getting me was barrel distortions on flat horizons, and CA's. I know, all this can be fixed in post processing. But if I don't have to, I'd rather not.

The lens is certainly capable of really nice pictures (as Stu has pointed out). But it does have a few quirks. Still an excellent value overall, and I don't regret having it.