Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Carlsbad Caverns, NM
Posted By: Bob Harris, 01-24-2011, 05:34 PM

This is a must visit park, an unbelievable mystical underground tour, put it on the bucket list. This was very hard to photograph due to the darkness and dimly lit portions of the cave, the true beauty will never be forgotten. We stopped in to view the caverns on our way from Colorado to Texas, it had been years since we had last visited and we appreciated it much more this time, must be something about age I guess. Try to ignore the noise and lighting, we used the flash of 2 cameras to try to improve the shots, thanks for viewing. Bob

Attached Images

Views: 4,015
01-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spectacular stalactites and stalagmites, Bob. Lovely colors, too.
01-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting these. I have such fond memories of Carlsbad Caverns. In the past, you could only go with a group tour and when you got to one portion of the caverns, they'd turn out the lights and everyone would sing - I think it was "Amazing Grace" - it was a long time ago! Talk about DARK. You literally couldn't see ANYTHING.

And then, as kids, we really loved the boxed lunches when you got to the bottom.

(Just have to share this story about my brother and Carlsbad Caverns: once, when we went he kept mentioning that is sure did seem darker than what he remembered - and then he realized he still had his sunglasses on. And the same brother, another time mentioned quite a few times that he wished he hadn't had that "Big Gulp" drink before entering the caverns. As you can imagine, there are no facilities until you reach the bottom. Maybe you had to be there, but he keeps us laughing.)

I agree that everyone should try to make it down to Carlsbad Caverns. I think the photos turned out great.
01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Spectacular stalactites and stalagmites, Bob. Lovely colors, too.
thank you Tamia, theses really have to be seen in person, one of those special places. Bob

01-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Thanks for posting these. I have such fond memories of Carlsbad Caverns. In the past, you could only go with a group tour and when you got to one portion of the caverns, they'd turn out the lights and everyone would sing - I think it was "Amazing Grace" - it was a long time ago! Talk about DARK. You literally couldn't see ANYTHING.

And then, as kids, we really loved the boxed lunches when you got to the bottom.

(Just have to share this story about my brother and Carlsbad Caverns: once, when we went he kept mentioning that is sure did seem darker than what he remembered - and then he realized he still had his sunglasses on. And the same brother, another time mentioned quite a few times that he wished he hadn't had that "Big Gulp" drink before entering the caverns. As you can imagine, there are no facilities until you reach the bottom. Maybe you had to be there, but he keeps us laughing.)

I agree that everyone should try to make it down to Carlsbad Caverns. I think the photos turned out great.
You really do have some history here and good memories. The first thing my wife said when we reached the Big Room was I think I should of used the potty before we came down here and I should of brought a heavier sweater. Good advice to everyone. Bob
01-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, Bob - and they bring back memories.

Jer
01-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

We really enjoyed the caverns also. Did you stay for the bat flight in the evening? You are not allowed to photograph it but it is really spectacular. I have given up on cave shots because I found them too difficult but you seem to have managed it. Now point your nose toward Kentucky and Mammoth Cave.

01-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have never made it to Carlsbad Caverns, but the Grand Canyon caverns (not actually at the Grand Canyon, by the way) are similar.
01-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love that last capture bob... impressive structures and colors... dave m
01-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice captures, under what had to be difficult lighting Bob.
I'm with Dave - the last one really gives a feel for the place.

Tim
01-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
We really enjoyed the caverns also. Did you stay for the bat flight in the evening? You are not allowed to photograph it but it is really spectacular. I have given up on cave shots because I found them too difficult but you seem to have managed it. Now point your nose toward Kentucky and Mammoth Cave.
We didn't stay for the bats, we had to travel so far back to our campground. We were in Kentucky, but didn't visit the Mammoth Cave, but will put that one on our list. thanks for the comments. Bob
01-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
Nice captures, under what had to be difficult lighting Bob.
I'm with Dave - the last one really gives a feel for the place.

Tim
Thanks to you and Dave, the columns were very impressive and massive, something to see in person to appreciate. thanks Bob
01-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I have never made it to Carlsbad Caverns, but the Grand Canyon caverns (not actually at the Grand Canyon, by the way) are similar.
We have visited the GC cavern, not as big, but any cave is a good cave. That is funny though as you noted about the names, seems there are a lot of places that claim the name, but are not there at the location. thanks Bob
01-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Those are amazing Bob. I have never seen anything like it. It must have felt overwhelming being inside the caverns... I can only imagine. Your lighting experiments paid off, the photos really convey the strange beauty of the stalactites and stalagmites.
01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Those are amazing Bob. I have never seen anything like it. It must have felt overwhelming being inside the caverns... I can only imagine. Your lighting experiments paid off, the photos really convey the strange beauty of the stalactites and stalagmites.
Thank you Tess, these photos are from the Big Room which is more than 5 acres in size and it is only a portion of the caverns. The path which you follow is wheelchair accessible, but a little dark and an elevator takes you down to the caverns. Bob