Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dusk at Boulder Bay
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Christchurch, New Zealand ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 5s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: FruitLooPs, 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM

Hey guys, on a whim quite late at night (~8.45pm) a friend suggested we go check out boulder bay as we were in the area.

I've never been there before, a small bay with a handful of private holiday homes. but its only accessible by a 3km dirt walking trail on a hillside above the ocean. We legged it all the way there (my fitness took a real test ) in time for dusk.

I didn't fancy carrying all my gear with me so only had the kit lens, and I didn't have my tripod or monopod in the car as I wasn't even going out for photos originally

I made do with fence posts when they were level Anyhow, here are some pics. They're all stitched shots.

This one below I must admit is a composition of two sets of images, I took this on the run out to the bay (which was at the end of that bit of land on the right, the trail is just visible). We were in a hurry to make it before sunset and my first attempt the sky was horribly blown out, I took another go (should've bracketed!) and it was too dark with the land. Hopefully i've taken the lemon and made lemonade in this case

Comments etc welcome, cheers

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 01-25-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Views: 1,887
01-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the first two - and especially the colors in the first one. They sky is nice, the color of the water beautiful, and the splash of color from the houses gives some interest. If I owned one of those houses in the shot, I'd want this one hanging on the wall there. (Come to think of it - If I owned one of those houses in the shot, I'd have TAKEN that shot by now!)

Nice job.....

Tim
01-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh for heaven's sake, this should not be allowed under those conditions and without a tripod. They are absolutely beautiful, especially the second one but I wouldn't refuse either of the other two. It is so unfair FruitLooPs.
01-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice series. I like the rocks in #2.

You could probably get a couple of #1s inexpensively printed and matted into a frame and sell them to the homeowners for a little bit of cash.

01-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice. That first shot is outstanding - I wish I had taken it.

Jer
01-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
love that 1st shot.... all i can say is 'i wish i was there'.... beautiful vista, dave m