Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
40 year old b&w negatives scanned from epson v600
Posted By: shootreadyaim, 01-26-2011, 06:36 PM

searching my eves I cameupon negatives of the marti gras 1976.
I also have a question most of the images saved were in tiff and i me jpg file from them but both the tiff and jpg files are over 24 mega bites .how do i make them smaller to post here ? shots were with spotmatic screw mount lens either a 55mm f1,8 or 28mm f3.5.
Hopefully they will be attached they are not the best ones but the only ones small enough to post until i can figure out how to make them smaller.
as you can probablytell i know nothing about image processing.

Attached Images

Views: 5,778
01-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The quality of the scan is really good!
Making the file size smaller would depend on the software you have available. With Lightroom you can adjust the file size when saving. Photoshop gives you the option of saving for web and devices (smaller size). Most programs have some sort of option along these lines.

Again nice images!

Tony
01-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was pleasently suprised at the quality of the $180 scanner i started out at 800 dpi went to 1200 then 2400 and some at 3200dpi at 6400dpi it was going to take about 80 minutes to do about 9 scans of 35 mm film. the negatives were in relatively good shape . a few with water marks and a few i could have cleaned better for dust. to have these done by a lab would have cost upwards of .75 or more per image. this scanner also came with elements 7 included unfortunatly my computer is old with only one gig of ram and no ability to increase it so these are stright prints off the v600 epson as I could not run elements.
i will post better shots once I can make them more managable.
As an aside one of the many things I enjoy about photography is the ability to freeze the subject in time, sadly in some of these old negatives are dear friends who have passed away.
01-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know much about scanning images but these are wonderful shots and I'm glad you are able to save them.

01-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Slowpez
thanks for the kind words i will post some others as soon as i have time in a day or two. I was young and the folks were hip down in New Orleans. there is nothing like the mardi gras for a good time.pertty much anything goes so long as no harm is done. I hope it is still like this.