Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Playing with the Brenizer method
Lens: M50 1.7 Camera: K-x ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F1.8 
Posted By: VaughnA, 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM

I've been playing with the Brenizer Method a bit lately. Not an exciting picture but I really like the effect. I'm anxious to try it on a couple of different subjects when I get some time.

Views: 3,467
01-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very neat. Thx for sharing!
01-28-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Very nice. How many photos did you use to get the resulting image? Is there any software other than photoshop that can merge so many photos?
01-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
Banned

I have never heard of this method. but looking at the link and the photos, it would seem to me, that what one is doing is essentially upping their format resolution to medium or even large format and the resulting image is very, very similar to the look one gets when shooting the actual format. I look at a lot of turn of the century glass plate photos and they all seemed to have a very similar look to them at wide aperture. very interesting. no focus stacking done so the resulting focus is what could be achieved with a larger format, unless im missing something? I will have to look more into this.

01-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Having heard the first time of it, I found it interesting, but after some experiments I found that it is quite subtle and that most people don't even recognize it.
In its extreme form it looks a bit like the results you get with a tilt lens.
01-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Yes it does give a medium/large format look. I love the sharp focused subject and narrow DOF that really gives a lot of depth.

I used about 18 shots stitched together using photoshop's photostitch. I locked WB and used my M50 1.7 wide open. One major recommendation is to drop the resolution of the camera. This was shot at 6MP. I tried it at 12MP and the files were enormous and took forever to render and stitch and sometimes crashed photoshop. I think that 2mp may be fine in most situations. At 6mp this ended up being about 7000 * 5000 or 35MP before I cropped and resized it. It probably took 20-30 minutes to stitch and then another 10-15 to crop & save.

I'm thinking that I'm going to head out to a local confederate cemetery this weekend and try a few other ideas. I love the large format look. And now I have as many MP as a phase one..
01-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I assume this is done from a tripod? I doubt I have the computing power to do this, and I donīt have photoshop anyway. I imagine my thinnest DoF would be from the 85 f2, or maybe the 50f1.4 (which would give me a field of view thatīs easier to work with).

01-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I assume this is done from a tripod? I doubt I have the computing power to do this, and I donīt have photoshop anyway. I imagine my thinnest DoF would be from the 85 f2, or maybe the 50f1.4 (which would give me a field of view thatīs easier to work with).
No tripod needed. Just plan out how you want to sweep and make sure to overlap the shots. The 85 f2 would probably work just fine. I may try it with my 55-300, even with the slower aperture I figure it will still give the effect of a wider aperture for a distant subject and a lot of shots.

There are quite a few free stitch programs out there for both the mac & windows. And if you use 2mp stitches it shouldn't be that hard on the CPU and still give good results. I have a demo of Calico stitcher for the mac, it was able to stitch this in about 5 minutes and did an excellent job. I may end up buying it just for the speed advantage over PS.
01-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading your initial post on the 28th and seeing your photo, I had to attempt this. I used my K10d with my A 50 f2 and shot in RAW with a tripod. I stitched 8 shots together 4 at a time. It didn't take too long in PS.
Unfortunately the distortion around the perimeter (from swiveling the camera) was a little more than I cared for.
I'll have to try this again during the week and see what I come up with.
Thanks for the ideas and your shot looks great.