Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rocks and Ice
Lens: DA 18-135 DC Camera: K-x Photo Location: Algoqnuin Park ISO: 200 
Posted By: normhead, 01-30-2011, 06:24 PM

It's the end of the month, we haven't had good light for at least a week. The natives were getting restless. SO we packed ourselves and the three dogs in to the car and headed for the park.

Views: 1,585
01-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked through the series of photos many times and it made me realize why people live in areas like this and put up with the cold. It is beautiful, the roads look very dangerous and it appears to not be used too much. The ice ledges also look dangerous once it starts to warm, but I can see the reason why people say the phrase "ice blue", which you captured very well. I hope to make it up that way someday, but it will be when it is warm. I do appreciate you showing what the other part of the year looks like though.thanks for sharing Bob
01-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
It is beautiful, the roads look very dangerous and it appears to not be used too much.
Not used? At least two cars passed us while were shooting!! At one point it was so busy I had to wait for 20 seconds before crossing the road. In the summer time it's a zoo. The shoulders are a little wider without the snow, but cars and buses are always pulled over on the shoulder for picture takers.

Amazing how many people still come up and go cross country skiing or snow shoeing though. At the plowed parking lots, there are almost always cars.

But... if you're only coming once, come in the summer. Maybe save the winter trip for your 9th or 10th visit.
01-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Bob said Norm. A gorgeous series of a fantastic landscape.

01-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots Norm

I'm not surprised you still get the traffic though. the road looks more than fine. When I lived up north in the 70's I had a blazer. Paid for it towing people from the city out of the ditch at blue mountain, roads this clear wouldn't have helped I had to rely on a good storm to get business. locals were rarely in the ditch (aside from the drunks and they were there in summer too)
Algonquin is a wonderful spot
01-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes Eddie, its amazing that though many drivers have accepted the concept of gravity, it would seem very few have accepted the concept of centrifugal force. Anyone who took high school physics knows your car accelerates in a curve, and that centrifugal force will try and keep you in a straight line, no matter where you think your car should go.