Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Arctic Travel Photography - Update!
Posted By: Duplo, 01-30-2011, 07:08 PM

The blog is now online and the full travel log uploaded -->Click here<--

It has been a very long time since I have posted images anywhere.

Too much work, climbing injuries, excessive travels and recently surgery, has reduced my time spend online to an absolute minimum.

Some may recall that I spend 3½ week worth of time in travelling up the east coast of Greenland this autumn.

An adventure that took us to places we will never forget, allowed us to meet the king of the arctics up close and witness nature in a size unimaginable to us.

The homepage is now updated and the galleries are ready.

But before we get to that, lets look a little at the technical stuff, as the experiences on this side of things might be useful to other too.

What I brought:
K-7 (primary), K-m (back up) and WS-80 (self portrait and waterproof thingy)
DA10-17FE (you never know and wonderful for close ups)
DA*16-50 (Foul weather lens and back up for primes should they die on me)
DA21ltd (never leave home without it)
FA43ltd (finest rendering lens there is)
DA70ltd (Compact, fast focussing and excellent optically)
FA77ltd (such a fine telephoto and currently preferred over the DA70ltd)
DA*300 (wildlife and when reach will be needed lens)

4 batteries for the k-7 and 2 chargers, 3 speedlights, elinchrom skports, compact tripod, a host of AA lithiums, lots of filters (cokin P type and normal threaded ones), remote and full cleaning kit

All rolled up in a Lowepro Pro trekker 400 with room to spare (shirt, food for the day, 2 x 0,5l termos, extra ammo, and a pair of spare gloves

How it went:
Now we kick the gear through water, dust, cold, heat and stormy weather, so it was pushed all the way out and then some, but like I have come to expect it stood its ground perfectly well.

As for the bag, it is IMHO the king of photo expedition bags, if you need to haul a heavy kit in rough terrain, this bag is it. It holds a huge amount of gear and loads of personal items, but it gets heavy.

Weather dictated a lot on this trip we had a lot of rain and a lot of dusty days, thus the DA*16-50 was a life saver on many occations, it is not a limited, but it definitely does very well for a zoom.

The DA21, FA43 and FA77 lived up to their usual and delivered on it too, thank you Pentax

The DA70, I did 3 images in total with it, but they are some fine images, so well worth it.

The DA10-17FE, well I think I did something like 10-15 images, but I had a ball with it.

The DA*300 was amazing for wildlife, I really needed a +600mm lens at times, but I would not have been able to carry it on this trip.

Overall every thing performed as expected and nothing broke. We were without electricity for days on occasions, but 4 batteries will last you a very long time, especially with the excellent cold weather performance introduced with the K-7.

I will post a few select Images below, but as the layout is not qute well working for how I like to post you will have to go to the gallery link below to find additional images.
In less than a week my new blog with the full story behind the images should be ready too, so you will have to wait for that to get all the travel experiences, but I wanted to share the images as soon as they were ready online

The images:
Tasiilaq (K-7 and FA77ltd):

Serenity (K-7 and DA70ltd):

Dwarf Fireweed (K-7 and DA*16-50):

Public Playground (K-7 and DA*16-50):

King of the Arctic (K-7 and DA*300):

Connections made (K-7 and FA77ltd):

Arching Ice (K-7 and FA43ltd):

The Hildur (K-7 and DA*16-50):

The full gallery is here:
Duplo Photography | East Greenland 2010
and well worth a look I would think

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Duplo; 02-08-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Updated information in main post
Views: 6,745
01-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I am not sure how to respond to these images othewr then to say. WOW.. they are all beautiful photo's and make me feel like I am there. Great used of the lenses and thank you so much fot sharing but also making me feel sad... As I wish I was there to shoot with you. JIMBO
01-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, these are absolutely terrific, each one of them. Glad I logged on today to see them.
01-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what an adventure and it was so interesting to read about the preparation. All of the images are photographed with meaning and thought. Thank you for taking the time to share the beauty with us and we will enjoy visiting your gallery. Bob

01-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Simply great photography.
01-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just an absolutely beautiful series... a real treat to view.... a superb travelogue.. thanks so much for sharing... looking forward to much MORE !! dave meyers
01-31-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like everyone else, I'm simply knocked out by these images - all of them. However, I must say that "Playground" and "Connections" are a couple of genuinely exceptional "people pics".

Jer

01-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Stunning comes to mind immediately then mind-blowing takes over. Can't wait to browse your gallery.
01-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm with Jimbo, Thomas. Going through the gallery made me feel like I was on the trip with you. Many excellent shots, as you seemed to really capture the flavor of the place.
(Kudos to your "model" as well. Whenever we go on vacation I'm lucky if I can get my wife/kids in more than a couple of shots!)

Thanks for sharing.....

Tim
01-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely terrific photos! Many, many thanks for showing them to us
01-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Beautiful series.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom G
01-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Ok, I am not sure how to respond to these images othewr then to say. WOW.. they are all beautiful photo's and make me feel like I am there. Great used of the lenses and thank you so much fot sharing but also making me feel sad... As I wish I was there to shoot with you. JIMBO
A highly valued compliment Jimbo, I have worked a great deal for these so th positive feedback is nice to hear.

If you are in the area let me know

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
Wow, these are absolutely terrific, each one of them. Glad I logged on today to see them.
I am very glad that you took the time to comment on them.
Thank you Barry

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
what an adventure and it was so interesting to read about the preparation. All of the images are photographed with meaning and thought. Thank you for taking the time to share the beauty with us and we will enjoy visiting your gallery. Bob
Thank you so much for the very nice compliment bob. Greatly appreciated.
I hope you enjoy the gallery.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Simply great photography.
Sincerely, Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
just an absolutely beautiful series... a real treat to view.... a superb travelogue.. thanks so much for sharing... looking forward to much MORE !! dave meyers
Thanks for liking Dave and for taking the time to compliment me.
I will post once the blog is up.
01-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Like everyone else, I'm simply knocked out by these images - all of them. However, I must say that "Playground" and "Connections" are a couple of genuinely exceptional "people pics".

Jer
A sincere thank you Jer.
Those two images is very high on my list of favourites from the trip. It was amazing to be allowed to shoot so many different things in pretty much the same location.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Stunning comes to mind immediately then mind-blowing takes over. Can't wait to browse your gallery.
Thank you Susan, I really hope you will enjoy the gallery.

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
I'm with Jimbo, Thomas. Going through the gallery made me feel like I was on the trip with you. Many excellent shots, as you seemed to really capture the flavor of the place.
(Kudos to your "model" as well. Whenever we go on vacation I'm lucky if I can get my wife/kids in more than a couple of shots!)

Thanks for sharing.....

Tim
I am glad I made you feel part of the trip, thank you, a highly valued compliment.

Louise positively hates having her picture taken, but I have put great effort into making it a challenge for both of us and fun too... it is some of a struggle, but this adventure made it a little easier to persuade her

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Absolutely terrific photos! Many, many thanks for showing them to us
A sincere thank you for commenting and liking.

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Beautiful series.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom G
Thank you Tom, glad you liked them.
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
outstending. I dream to get there.
02-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oohing and Ahing over this selection wasn't enough for me, so I took a look at Duplo's site. Highly recommended. Visitors are in for a real treat!