Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Butterfly series 3 (EDITED, updated)
Posted By: HowLowCanYaGo, 10-10-2007, 04:18 PM

These shots were taken in late afternoon (around 5:30pm CST). Just your average ol' Monarchs shot with kit lens in aperture priority.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by HowLowCanYaGo; 10-12-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Views: 1,508
10-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #2

I don't usually go for bug shots.
but it's unusual to see a back lit butterfly I really really like.
looks a bit oversharpened though, not much but a bit, the highlights have those little sharpening halos especially on the first.
10-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the idea is right...

Have you ever considered using a flash to create a fill light on the subject?

Same concept as sports photographers shooting athletes in bright sunny conditions - the subject's back is to the sun, and the photographer uses roughly half power flash to fill the subject's face nicely. Of course, bugs don't squint when they face the sun...

Two examples of fill flash in less than ideal conditions - both butterflies:

http://www.marclangille.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/IMGP5473_resized_copy.jpg

http://www.marclangille.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/IMGP3298_resized_copy.jpg

Where your images shot in JPEG? Personally I prefer RAW, especially for macro work, especially if the subject has any dark/black areas on it, due to it's better dynamic range. For outdoor events, etc. JPEG is fine in my books.

That all being said, I am looking for a certain level of detail in my images. You've done well with the captures, and I think it's on the right track, although the sharpening artifacts show up a bit in those images.

Cheers,
Marc
10-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi.

I purposely tried to get some backlit shots of these guys. I prefer not to use flash outdoors. I only mainly use it in portaiture... I always shoot raw.

Now that it is said, I do think these were oversharpened. Thanks for pointing that out!

10-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One suggestion...

I'd suggest leaving a bit more room around the butterfly - as shown, the crops look a little tight.

I like the backlighting, and, like you, I don't like to use flash outdoors (unless it's as a fill-flash for portraits).
10-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to all who'ev replied. Here are some edits, unsharpened and more loosely cropped. Let me know how these are:

10-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the backlighting. I was trying to get some earlier this fall. The new pictures I like the first better because the more open cropping has made some interesting flowers. the second picture the crop should still stay tight, the background is not additive. The lower sharpening is better.

thanks for the great pictures.