Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
C&C on these 2 pairs img
Posted By: weatherwise2, 10-11-2007, 06:13 PM

I was at the OuterBanks North Carolina. I have been editing the images and wanted some opinions on the differences:

A.
B.

How about these 2

C.
D.

Thanks for the critiques.
Views: 1,557
10-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #2

I'm assuming you want to know which we prefer out of the pairs, in which case I prefer A and D. B seems to be missing a focus point and C is too cluttered, whereas D seems to put more emphasis on the green bottle(?) just to the right of center. A just seems to be better composed IMHO, the fence adds a point of interest and also splits the sand and water (I think that's water, it's displaying a little small). They all have strong points, A and D just seem to work the best for me.
10-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. I am still having problems posting pictures. I did want to get an opinion for the selection of the pairs and why. I'm trying to get more critical of my own work to help improve.
10-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I love the colors on c and d, although I do agree that letter c is too cluttered.

10-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Between A & B, I prefer B. I disagree with Moggman. I think the brightly lit dune makes a great focal point with the ridge and fence serving as leading lines. This image projects mystery as well. What lies beyond the fence and dune is left to the viewer to imagine. I think this image would not work as well without the fence, however. Image A seems rather ordinary in comparison.

C & D are both too cluttered for my taste. D has promise if you can get the hanging glass bottle on the right to stand out more.

Regards.

-Mark
10-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #6

I agree with SWEngineer about B - I love that contrasty line along the dune ridge (and would like to see it with no fence at all via moving while shooting and/or a bit of PP). And I also agree that C&D are a bit too busy - what about cropping out only the green bottle, or even only part of it?
10-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have tried cropping the window picture B to show mostly the bottle. I agree it does improve the image. I like the color changes in the 2 bottles and knick knacks, and the color in the garden in the background.

I have done some minor modification of the wind on the sand dunes. I like both of the dune pictures but like this one because of the wind blowing the sand, the shape of the dune and, yes, the mystery of what is over that dune.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

10-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #8

Actually, I change my mind about the fence - I thought I'd like it without any fence at all, but it's actually terrific as a contrast to the organic shape of the dune, now that I see it slightly larger.