Views: 1,505
02-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Millionth Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a cool shot. hdr can make shots jump off the page. regular house is now---wow
02-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #3

Very nice!
What program? and can you explain your worflow for HDR (if it si possible?), I want to try it but it doesn't hurt to have some help.
02-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
mdc

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys

I use Lightroom 3.3, Photomatix 4.0 and Photoshop CS5, in that order.

1) Wait for the right weather. This is probably the most important part of the process, as if the lighting's wrong, your shots will have very, very boring skies, and most likely strong halos around your subject matter. Perfect weather is sunshine with nice, fluffy clouds.
2) Look for extremes of light and dark in a scene, and compose the shot based on your experience with results you've obtained previously.
3) Take a series of exposures at normal exposure, under exposed, and over exposed. I use the Auto Exposure Bracketing function on the K100D, which automatically takes 3 shots in quick succession a maximum of 2EV under/over exposed,
4) Repeat until you've got your shots for the day.
5) When you get home, into Lightroom, stack the bracketed exposures, right click and Export to Photomatix Pro. Fill out the import settings dialog, and hit Import.
6) Adjust the tone mapping settings until you reach the desired effect; this is a matter of trial and error, and your processing will improve and your style will be come more consistent.
7) Accept the tone mapping settings, and Photomatix will process the shot and export the tone mapped shot back to Lightroom.
8) Open in Photoshop, do any retouching you need to do, watermark, and resize for the web.
9) Upload!

That's pretty much it; the key is in the settings, and that's more of a personal preference and individual style thing. It'll also vary depending on each shot, and the way the lighting was in each scene.

I hope that'll be of some help

02-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #5

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it you taking the time for explaining it. I will try it soon(when the lighting is good).
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice use of HDR. You can tell - but it works perfect here and is not overdone.....

Tim