Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

Strange Nature
Posted By: tessfully, 02-07-2011, 08:39 AM

The Tamron is a great lens! Reality never looked so cool! Took these yesterday. Not sure how good or bad they are, but interesting for sure (at least to me).

I photographed this fungi with the Optio W80 a few days ago, and this version with the Tamron. The Optio was good, but the clarity from the macro amazing...

Driftwood

Encapsulated Bud or Cocoon?

Fungi strives to escape

tree nub and friends

Adding this one as I find it interesting how the lens focuses; it can either ruin or add to the photo depending on the spot it hits... as with the dried flowers that follow

cool pic, but does it work?

Strong, like leaf!

Needles rustle in breeze

It was a hard winter for this poor toad. Amazing what you see when shooting with a macro lens.

And Kenzie, finally got a good one of her using the macro...

thanks for looking!

Last edited by tessfully; 02-07-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Views: 6,064
02-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'm doing fine with just the zoom lens on the X90 so happy with it

02-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the second one of the driftwood but think it would have been better with a wider DOF so that everything is in focus.
02-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great series. I like the cool shot does it work shot. I think with a little pp that on will pop off the screen.
02-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crazysaint222 Quote
Has another go, just with the 18-55 kit lens though, as this is the closest focusing lens I have at present. I'm quite happy with the result but could have been sharper. Also used the macro exposure mode rather than M
That is an amazing image crazysaint! wow wow, love the colours. Great job. I hope people jump back to page one for a look at your post. There is a fast learning curve from your first shots to this one... congrats! Can't wait to see more!!

I really love the kit lens for the Kx as well and have taken some really nice marcos with it. So glad you reminded me of that. Here is one example:

02-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I really like the second one of the driftwood but think it would have been better with a wider DOF so that everything is in focus.
Thanks! I have just figured that out and I am practicing with different DOF... learning the effects as I manually select for different images. Thanks so much for commenting!
02-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Hey will that frog thaw out and enjoy spring ?
02-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Nice shots, that lens is so much fun to work with.
I like the second and last one best. Great structures on the wood and having a BorderCollie myself I always like to see a good doggie shot. He/she's gorgeous. I use the Tamron 90 mm a lot for dog pictures.

02-15-2011, 05:17 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
That is an amazing image crazysaint! wow wow, love the colours. Great job. I hope people jump back to page one for a look at your post. There is a fast learning curve from your first shots to this one... congrats! Can't wait to see more!!

I really love the kit lens for the Kx as well and have taken some really nice marcos with it. So glad you reminded me of that. Here is one example:
Thanks, that means a lot. soon as thinks get a little brighter round here I'll head back out and get snapping again. Your leaf photo proves even the simplest subject can produce great results, as do all of your images.
Thanks again, and keep up the good work
02-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Karen, I have seen some nice shots of your BC too... they are a lot of fun, emphasis on " a lot" ... I have two wonderful pups. The Tamron does an amazing job on their faces and eyes.

LoOpE, I don't think that poor critter has much of a chance. I found it in a very weird location too.

Crazysaint, I just read yesterday that soft overcast lighting is wonderful for macro photography, as well as windless conditions of course ... and using a shallower depth of field hones in on the subjects intricacies. The DOF on almost all of my macros to-date has been too shallow, however. So I am working my way out of that.

There is a great Macro Club thread on the site... I always look thru it for ideas and tips too.

thanks for chatting and for the great feedback
02-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Just took another couple this evening. Very overcast but a quick touch up in PP increased the temp and contrast enough to bring the colours right out. I'm pleased with the holly leaf, but not so much with the half eaten/decaying pear lol.
Taken with the kit lens again, this time on manual rather than macro/
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #26

Wonderful pics, especially the 2nd :-)
02-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #27

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-19-2011, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh those are terrific crazysaint... love love love the colours and the bokeh is fantastic.

The rotting pear reminds me of my poor old toad's foot, but, the textures, colours and bokeh transcend the subject and it is really really good. The sheen on the holy leaf is incredible.

I can imagine how excited you are now! Macro really offers a unique perspective on the world. Thanks for posting these. I can't wait to see what's next!
02-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Oh those are terrific crazysaint... love love love the colours and the bokeh is fantastic.

The rotting pear reminds me of my poor old toad's foot, but, the textures, colours and bokeh transcend the subject and it is really really good. The sheen on the holy leaf is incredible.

I can imagine how excited you are now! Macro really offers a unique perspective on the world. Thanks for posting these. I can't wait to see what's next!
Thank you so much. All these days of sitting home when the wheather has benn....less than perfect.....and itching to take some photos, while all along my own garden has been hiding subjects all over the place. Wouldn't have been able to take these without your advice (well not good shots anyway), and your original thread post for planting the macro seed in my head. After being totally disappointed with the kit lens for general snapping, I'm happy it has found a spot in my bag as a useful macro tool.
Thanks again Tess
02-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Tried my hand at water droplets sitting on objects around my yard. Not as good a result as I was hoping, but it's all helping me learn.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo