Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Strange Nature
Lens: Tamron 90 2.8 macro Camera: K-x Photo Location: The woods 
Posted By: tessfully, 02-07-2011, 08:39 AM

The Tamron is a great lens! Reality never looked so cool! Took these yesterday. Not sure how good or bad they are, but interesting for sure (at least to me).

I photographed this fungi with the Optio W80 a few days ago, and this version with the Tamron. The Optio was good, but the clarity from the macro amazing...

Driftwood

Encapsulated Bud or Cocoon?

Fungi strives to escape

tree nub and friends

Adding this one as I find it interesting how the lens focuses; it can either ruin or add to the photo depending on the spot it hits... as with the dried flowers that follow

cool pic, but does it work?

Strong, like leaf!

Needles rustle in breeze

It was a hard winter for this poor toad. Amazing what you see when shooting with a macro lens.

And Kenzie, finally got a good one of her using the macro...

thanks for looking!

Last edited by tessfully; 02-07-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Views: 6,066
02-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
great work, love the last image. the reflection of the person (you taking the shot im guessing) adds to the artistic side of things. all fantastic shots though.
02-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tess, there are quite a few wonderful photos that you took. What I like is that you are experimenting and most of the shots are turning out very well, keep it up, it is fun to see what you can come up with. thanks Bob
02-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Tess, there are quite a few wonderful photos that you took. What I like is that you are experimenting and most of the shots are turning out very well, keep it up, it is fun to see what you can come up with. thanks Bob
As what Bob said and to add............... I love the Snow on the leaf!

02-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks so much for looking and commenting... I am really enjoying the learning process and am more or less developing my own "voice" (as I had to as a writer), but in this case I guess "vision" is the right word. The feedback is always really helpful and truly appreciated.
02-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Winter has you shooting the same things as me. Your shots are a lot better.
02-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well seen subjects and well captured, Tess. I'm surprised to see an apricot jelly fungus in such good shape in winter's cold. Nice series.

02-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I like the last pic with the reflection in the eye, That type of fungi i wouldn't like to see on my bonsai Tree (wink wink) Now the dead wood mmmmm I love dead wood it's well used in the bonsai arena. Great shots
02-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looks like you're really enjoying that macro.... like your captures, nature really has some wondrous elements when seen up close.... thanks for sharing, dave m
02-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Thought i'd have a go at macro, nowhere near as good as yours though. I must work harder lol. Any tips on composure? Lens choice? Subject?

Last edited by crazysaint222; 02-13-2011 at 10:46 AM.
02-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Again tess you have shown us what a wonderful eye you have. Beautiful fungi.
02-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow! love all the feedback! thanks so much everyone! You have all become my incentive these days... so nice to have a place to "hang my hat!"

crazysaint, I am so new at this and sometimes I am not even sure what I am doing. I toss way more than I keep, that is for sure. What I am learning along the way is that the lens designed for macro shots, like the Tamron 90 is fantastic. I also realize I need a tripod, especially for the smaller or more delicate subjects. I am only now learning to play with depth of field, and until now just let the camera do it for me with the auto setting. As it is winter here my subjects are things like seed pods, dried leaves, fungi, my dog's eye! Personally, I really enjoy a minimalist or simple image, like my pine needles or a tree nub. On your example above I would probably find something on the tree that is kinda cool, single it out and then shoot it from different angles and settings. Same with the fungi, I would select just one or a small cluster, get close and see what transpires. I always find the macro lens picks up things my own eyes cannot see... like the individual hairs on a morning glory seed pod.

So, I could go on and on in a non technical way explaining what I do... I think this forum will have all kinds of expert advise if you do a search on macro techniques etc. Other than that, just keep experimenting.

cheers!
02-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Wow! love all the feedback! thanks so much everyone! You have all become my incentive these days... so nice to have a place to "hang my hat!"

crazysaint, I am so new at this and ... .

cheers!
Thanks, that gave me more help than 90% of the articles I've read so far. You pull it off really well. I will get going with this fantastic advice and see if I can't get some half decent images. Thanks again
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The world is so big that one tends to casual overlook al those wonderful small details there are to enjoy. You obviously didn't!
02-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Has another go, just with the 18-55 kit lens though, as this is the closest focusing lens I have at present. I'm quite happy with the result but could have been sharper. Also used the macro exposure mode rather than M
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo