Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 imgs from my walk this afternoon...
Posted By: Andrew Faires, 12-09-2006, 10:56 PM

well....technically yesterday afternoon

All of these are with the K10D.

DA 14mm f/2.8 @ f/11. ISO 100. 1/160 shutter speed hand-held

FA* 400 f/5.6, wide open. ISO 100. 1/250 shutter speed on tripod. Some cropping (okay, major cropping )

DA 14mm f/2.8 @ f/8. ISO 400. 1/20 shutter speed hand-held.

All c & c are welcome
Views: 1,989
12-09-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, so beautiful.

I love the first pic for that silky smooth white seascape. Da14/2.8 is a great lens. The fact that you hand hold k10d to take this shot with f11 and speed of 1/250 second is just a dream too good to be true. That would have to be the best walk in a while!

2nd photo has that magic word Fa*400/5.6 on the caption and my eyes are wide open. Thanks for showing what it can do. That is SHARP. What a nice plumage this bird has. Jealousy is a sin! You make me sinned!

Hope to see more in the future

p.s. The last shot is beautiful too but I thought it might have been darker with richer cherry colour to the sky than this shot. My intuision there.

Happy snapping

Last edited by roentarre; 12-09-2006 at 11:44 PM.
12-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do you think about BW for the first one?
Would really like to see that sunset shot much larger to get the full effect. Squinting at my screen for the details of the clouds and the roughness of the shoreline. From what I see I like it.
The bird shot is very crisp for a major crop. Got to love all that informaiton the sensor captures.
12-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice pics Andrew..in the last photo, it's easy to see the extra DR you get with the K10. The 3rd is my favourite too. thanks for sharing.

12-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Andrew.

What part of Ontario are you from? The first photo looks sort of Georgian Bay-ish (or, after doing some research - Guelph Lake-ish).

Being a wildlife kind of guy, my favourite is the junco shot. Very well done, especially as a major crop) but there may be just a bit of sharpening halo showing on the beak and forehead. How did you come across the FA*400? Any more where that came from?

Keep them coming!

Last edited by Tom Lusk; 12-10-2006 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Checked the intro. forum...
12-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #6

All great pictures.

The bird is major cropping? I can understand that but the end results were worth the effort.. Excellent!!
12-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments .

Tom: The FA* 400 was through Pentax Canada. I emailed them to see if they had any in stock. Once they confirmed it, I ordered it through McBains (the 1-800 # - not online) as they were the only ones who took my inquiry seriously. That was about a year and a half ago so it doesn't hurt to send them an email

As for Georgian Bay, I really hope to find my way to a few spots around the bay next year. Midland has to be one of my favorite spots which I haven't been to in several years (unfortunately).

The halo is something that escaped my notice completely. Thanks for pointing that out.

Roentarre: The scene was a bit darker and the colour was a little more intense, but I opted for a bit brighter foreground. I'll try playing around with the colour a little to see if I can get the best of both worlds.

Clarenceclose: I didn't even think of a black and white conversion for this. I did a quick conversion just now and I think with a little playing around with contrast, it would make for a very good alternative. Thanks!

And you're right about the sensor and all the info it gets. It's proving to be a real asset for shooting birds.

Thanks again, everyone, for the advice and comments. I appreciate it!