Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Centennial of Naval Aviation - San Diego - 12 Feb 2011
Posted By: Frank B, 02-14-2011, 05:24 PM

(All of these shots were taken with a K20D and DA55-300, handheld and occasionally on a monopod. All were shot as jpgs, and I did some cropping and adjusting in iPhoto on some of them.)

On Saturday 12 February the US Navy celebrated 100 years of naval aviation with an almost 200-plane Parade of Flight over San Diego Bay. The aircraft ranged in age from pre-WWII to the most modern. The fly-over was spread over 2 hours, and finished with the full air wing of the carrier Stennis flying in from the west. A group of us from a local San Diego photo club met on Shelter Island to watch. We got there at about 9:40AM, and almost all of the parking and standing space along the water was gone. We did manage to secure a pretty good viewing spot though. The fly-over started at 1:00PM. They started things off with a pair of LCAC's (hover-crafts) skimming over the Bay.

Next up were the Blue Angels. Unlike the other planes, which took off from either NAS North Island (Coronado), Brown Field or Miramar, the Blue Angles merely took a few minutes out of the practices in Yuma, and did a quick fly-by of San Diego Bay. They came in screaming over the Coronado Bridge, north along the Bay, then turned south over NASNI and went screaming back to Yuma.

There they go, headed back to Arizona.

The Navy's Leap Frogs dropped in (more than once actually).

It just seems appropriate to show the B-17 in black & white.

There was a demonstration of helicopter aerial refueling.

There were thousands of people lining the shores of San Diego Bay, lots of spectator boats in the water, and a whole lot of aircraft in the air. One of the reasons our group specifically picked Shelter Island rather than going on board the base was so that we could have the City in the background.

At the same time that all of this was going on the Moon was rising in the east.

At the end of the day there was a lot of traffic leaving Shelter Island, so we walked to an early dinner, then got back to our cars just in time to catch the sunset.

GO NAVY!

There are a lot more pictures in this gallery and in this gallery.
Views: 2,835
02-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lucky you. Nice shots. I wish I had known about it...
02-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow what a great series. i do like the city in the background. like the vintage planes
02-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Is a great series Frank,thank you. To all our sons and daughters,brothers and sisters,
moms and dads currently serving 'anchors aweigh' and in other branches
Thank you.

02-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Looks like you had a perfect day....Love the shots, particularly the B17.
Cheers, Pickles.
02-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Orah!

Thanks for sharing these with us.

Go Navy, beat Army!
02-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a wonderful day with great photos, my sister lives in SD and was there also and bragged about it, your photos show me why. thanks for taking me along. Bob

02-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #8

Great set, I wanted to go but had to work that day. I heard that the organization of the event was not that great (just a few food booths, exit at the end of the event)..check this website that I am part of APSOCAL.COM ...don't know any pentax user there but still..
02-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks like you had a very productive day. I really like the one with all the helos against the skyline. My carrier (USS Oriskany) was home ported at North Island for a while in the 60's.
02-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice photos and interesting gallery. Of course, I wish I had been there. Thanks for sharing your experiences and photos.
Did/do you serve in the Navy?
02-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

must have sounded like 'rolling thunder'.....thanks for sharing your pics frank.... patriotic tribute to our naval air forces..... dave m
02-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice series. Go Air Force. (Sorry my hubby is retired AF but I one of my sons was Navy.)
02-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Great shots (and it must've been a great show the squids put on - wish I coulda seen it too...). I love the hovercraft being included as some of the naval "aviation"

Jim (former USAF)
02-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Kind of cool to see that 50 years later, Hueys are still in service.
02-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
. . . . Did/do you serve in the Navy?
I was never in the military, but have several friends and family who are currently or have served.

Also, regarding the "Go Navy" I am not biased in favor of one branch of the military over any other, I have equal respect for all. I got the idea for the thread title from a good friend who was a rescue swimmer in the Navy.