Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tractor (HDR attempt 2)
Posted By: camo, 02-15-2011, 01:08 AM

Lately have been having a go at HDR photography for something different as there isn't much to photo here. The process from program to program is quite back and forward. Sill trying to get it all sorted. They seem a little less sharp after uploading them.

Views: 1,866
02-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting effect which creates a feeling of the surreal. Good sharp detailed image with solid colour completes the series of shots. I like it.
02-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sharpness is fine as far as I can see. However the composition of each image isn't particularly strong, the problem with the kind of HDR treatment you have used is that you have robbed the subject of shadows and left it stark...all it's secrets revealed, and that robs the images of interest.

I'm also not a fan of how much you chose to crop out of the lower two images. Also a landscape image doesn't explicitly have to be taken with the camera at a horizontal angle, I do quite a bit of landscape work with my camera at a vertical angle.

Also the angles that you have used to photograph the tractor aren't particularly inventive, they lack depth, I don't mean you have to photograph the tractor with half of it out of focus, the DOF you have used is quite appropriate. I suggest is by using a lower angle and making the tractor more prominent in the foreground. Learning what things to emphasise in a photograph and which things to diminish can be quite difficult, but experimentation is the key.

your HDR workflow is quite good though
02-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These haven't come out too badly. Heavy HDR effect with some hazy loss of texture but not detestable.
I also like the way you've been able to process the colour back into the washed-out HDR images, and #2 shows this nicely.
Thanks for sharing.

02-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

first image is good
I like the sun bursting through in the back ground, also with moody clouds, the tractor shows its history well, as a useful piece of farm equipment...very nice HDR...

the second has great composure, i personally love wide angle, close up shots, taken form a low perspective

the third Im not so sure about....

good job though mate
02-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with Tommot on the second one. I like the perspective. Nice HDR. I'm going to have to try that one of these days.
02-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys. Gets me thinking for next time I try something like this. I like the 1st 2 myself but just noticed something weird going on around the rollbar in no. 2. Could easily fix this with photo shop tho. There is so many adjustments to make when doing HDR, I could produce many different styles. Just got to find the most effective one now...