Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hey Tom, I finally found a Clearwing Hummingbird Moth...
Posted By: Marc Langille, 10-15-2007, 04:19 PM

Taken last August, 2006... it was a complete accident! I was planning on photographing the flower and butterfly, and then this busy intruder showed up...

Used my trusty DS and the FA* 200mm macro lens. Taken at F/8, 1/125 sec., ISO 400:

Now a detail shot, cropped and close to 100%:

Goes to show sometimes the unintentional pictures can be better, since I've not another good image of this creature to show for it...

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-21-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: site re-direct - had to fix broken image links
Views: 3,858
10-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW- That's really a great capture marc, I saw one of those things on my butterfly bush for a second and ffffftttt he was gone
(another tom)
10-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great capture!

Hi Marc!

You had this photo buried and just found it? It's awesome. We get the hummingbird moths a lot on our butterfly bush. But they move too fast to get both one of them and another in the same frame. You did very good!

Don't you love the way they sound - just like a hummingbird.
10-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks Tom!

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
WOW- That's really a great capture marc, I saw one of those things on my butterfly bush for a second and ffffftttt he was gone
(another tom)
Yeah, if I tried to photography them, it would probably take me a week to get a really good shot - damn they move fast...

Cheers,
Marc

10-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Marc!

You had this photo buried and just found it? It's awesome. We get the hummingbird moths a lot on our butterfly bush. But they move too fast to get both one of them and another in the same frame. You did very good!

Don't you love the way they sound - just like a hummingbird.
Hey Tracy!

Thanks and yes I know, it's a shameful omission on my part. I remembered vaguely getting one good shot of this creature, and I finally found it... Feel free to check out my real hummingbird pics - some you can see their eyelashes and the pupils...

I'm customizing my new photography site, which isn't quite ready, but getting close. The look and feel is done, just have to get the images prepped and uploaded.

Good to see you around here!

Cheers,
Marc
10-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice Gallery!

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hey Tracy!

Thanks and yes I know, it's a shameful omission on my part. I remembered vaguely getting one good shot of this creature, and I finally found it... Feel free to check out my real hummingbird pics - some you can see their eyelashes and the pupils...

I'm customizing my new photography site, which isn't quite ready, but getting close. The look and feel is done, just have to get the images prepped and uploaded.

Good to see you around here!

Cheers,
Marc
You DO have some great hummers in there. There's even some combat photos. I've been dying to get a few of those. Just not fast enough for them, either.

It's a nice site. I like the filmstrip navigation. The thumbnails on the homepage are a bit too small for me, so I had to go by the descriptions to figure out where to go. Other than that, I like it!
10-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well worth the wait, Marc!

A beautiful capture of one of the most interesting (read strange) creatures that fly.

Unfortunately, they've gone from this area for another year.

10-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great shot Marc. Love the suberb detail and colour. I had a look at the site as well. Some truly excellent stuff there and well worth the look. I do have a 'gear head question, you have the Manfrotto 804RC2 head and I was wondering what you think of it with a heavy lens like the 300mm. I think it's time to upgrade my 3047 for something a little tighter as I find mine is dipping a few degrees after it's locked with a heavy lens.
10-16-2007, 04:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
great shot Marc. Love the suberb detail and colour. I had a look at the site as well. Some truly excellent stuff there and well worth the look. I do have a 'gear head question, you have the Manfrotto 804RC2 head and I was wondering what you think of it with a heavy lens like the 300mm. I think it's time to upgrade my 3047 for something a little tighter as I find mine is dipping a few degrees after it's locked with a heavy lens.
Thank you Peter - much appreciated. The new site I am referring to is still under construction. It's quite a facelift over the current one...

I use my FA* 300/2.8 on it, which is front heavy due to the location of the tripod collar. I don't completely tighten the unit with the grips (elevation and rotation - tilt is locked), so it sort of floats with just a bit when I am photographing hummingbirds at my house. However, I do need to be careful so I don't accidentally dump the lens forward onto a tripod leg and scuff the collar (which is metal).

Cheers,
Marc
10-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the comments Tom

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
A beautiful capture of one of the most interesting (read strange) creatures that fly.

Unfortunately, they've gone from this area for another year.
I know... no more hummers either....

But I'll post some reminders of their beauty sometime soon!
10-17-2007, 03:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey thats not fair Marc

Great capture and I'm totally envious of you right now you know that!
10-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow............
10-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Great composition, beautiful colours and crisp detail Marc.

Paul
10-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Crips image with natural colour. Not sure exactly how fast it is in real life but it must be fast for you and others to comment it that way.

Great shot
10-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've never seen this moth before Marc. You have some crackin' shot of it. Good work!