Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

Trying to do raw--settled for j-peg --for now
Posted By: charliezap, 02-17-2011, 07:44 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
I've never taken a raw photo in my life.All my photos that you have seen over the years have been j-pegs.I finally downloaded a program to work raw but it has me "wrapped around the axel" but The fog is lifting after every session and in the next few days I should know what I'M DOING.The night wasn't a total loss and I was able to salvage a j-peg shot with my k20d doing its thing with a "filter shot"
Hey---I'm Polish--A senior citizen and prone to many mistakes and I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. This photo was taken in the kitchen and the clock in the window at left is a relection from the right wall.Life was easier with film but what can I say besides you snooze-you lose" in this fast pace of technology that leaves you behind if you don't pay attention.---charlie "old dog " zap
Views: 3,569
02-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Charlie,

I use Paint Shop Pro X and it does not recognize raw files from my DS, let alone your K20D. I suggest you use your raw converter to fix your histogram (blown highlights) and white balance. If the program can save the file as a tiff (lossless), you can continue adjusting your image in PSP with the tiff file. If not, save it as a jpeg and work with that.

I've been thinking about posting a PSP Post Processing Article where before and after shots can be posted with the processing steps used. Would you find that helpful?

Tim
Hi Tim-I'm sure any tips would be helpful.Does anyone know if Paint Shop Pro would open a raw file shot in DNG with the k20d?--charliezap

02-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I've received a few PM about the plugin I'm using for paint shop pro 8 that allows me to open .PEF files. I had the page bookmarked on the Pentax Canada site, but just discovered the site has been re-organized and thus my bookmark is a dead link.

The plug-in I'm using was designed for Photoshop (I believe) but i installed it in my Paint-Shop Pro ver 8 and it works fine. Let me see if I can find the file in its new location, and if so I will post an update this weekend. Worse case, I have the plug-in backed up, so I can always email it directly to those who are looking for it.

I've also been asked if it works in newer versions of Paint Shop Pro....and all I can say, "I don't know".

More later...

Mark
I don't think plug-ins are version specific. The bigger issue is which Pentax camera version of PEF does the plug-ins support.
02-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Hi Tim-I'm sure any tips would be helpful.Does anyone know if Paint Shop Pro would open a raw file shot in DNG with the k20d?--charliezap
I'll see if I can get an article written up this weekend and accepted into the Article forum. I would invite any PSP user to post before and after shots with detailed processing steps.

Tim
02-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

wont work in PSP X2

Came across a post on another forum that indicates the plug-in works ONLY for pentax raw files from ist-D when using PSP X2.

Perhaps someone with a newer version of PSP can confirm this??

02-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever it takes to begin using RAW files for processing, do it! There is not a week that goes by where having the RAW does not save a photo from the delete button for me. The ability to push exposure and correct bad WB is more important than can be imagined at times. For a very good shooter, that gets exposure just right and WB too, my K20D Jpegs are just plain excellent....but when you miss......RAW often can perform a small miracle for you.

Best Regards & BTW- I love the shot you posted here, it has great color and composition!
02-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Came across a post on another forum that indicates the plug-in works ONLY for pentax raw files from ist-D when using PSP X2.

Perhaps someone with a newer version of PSP can confirm this??
I just found this feature in PSP X:

Go to File/Preferences/File Format Associations and you will find a menu of raw file formats supported. When I clicked on the PEF box, I could now open my DS PEF files. However, the Smart Photo Fix action started up each time I opened a PEF file.

I then went to File/Preferences/File Format Preferences and there was a box in the General Tab that was checked titled Open Camera Raw images with Smart Photo Fix. When I unchecked that box, the Smart Photo Fix at startup went away.

Now I don't need a plugin. Thanks Mark (forensicscientist) for all of your help.

Tim

PS: I just tried it with a K20D PEF and it does not work, as the K20D came out after my version of PSP.
02-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I also found thiswhile I was trying to get forensicscientist's raw plugin to work.

Install Plugins PSP

From the website: Important DLL Files
To enable most third-party Plugins to be compatible with Paint Shop Pro 7 8 9 X XI X2 X3 + you will need to download and install the following DLL files.

Plugin Commander Light - may not be required; e-mail address required.
MSVCRCT10 (91.9KB)
Plugin (15.6 KB)

The three dll files have hot links that I won't post here. However, I don't know how to install dll files in the Windows registry and I don't have time to figure it out right now.

Tim