Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First day of spring?
Lens: Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 macro Camera: K20D Photo Location: UIUC ISO: 100 
Posted By: wshi, 02-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Well, not quite but the weather was still pretty nice. Had a half hour in between class and decided to snap a few shots on my campus' main quad. Comments, concerns, questions, have at it.

If my color balance seems terribly off, let me know! I've come to realize that my laptop's screen is calibrated strangely, and sometimes images come out way too red/warm on an external monitor. Thanks all.

Bonus, here's a shot I took yesterday. Trying to develop more of a photojournalistic sense at times (caption if you click). Let me know what you guys think.

Views: 1,858
02-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #2

Full of hope in those picture of spring!
02-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wshi, just my opinion
1. would have been better if you were standing where the ladies are, cutting them and the building to the right, out of the shot. Both are distracting to me
2. I like it, the bloke is clearly enjoying the sunshine and seems happy, and the background is also fine IMO
3. I am trying to find what your main focus actually was, the building, the girl?, but as composed, I do not think i see what you want me to see
4. Almost the same as 3, it is just to "busy", leaving me not knowing where to look and what to see. I think if the bloke on the bicycle was not in the shot, it would have been nice
5. Nice clear and sharp close up of ?....showing you've got a nice lens there
6. I like the most, if only, The silver flask? and red sellotape holder, was cropped out, and you took it from a lower angle, to have her eyes and nose clear in one of the grid spaces
Thanks for asking us to look at it, it also help me to learn to cocentrate more on composition when I take a shot next time
02-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paullv Quote
Full of hope in those picture of spring!
Indeed, too bad it was colder today than yesterday

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
wshi, just my opinion
1. would have been better if you were standing where the ladies are, cutting them and the building to the right, out of the shot. Both are distracting to me
2. I like it, the bloke is clearly enjoying the sunshine and seems happy, and the background is also fine IMO
3. I am trying to find what your main focus actually was, the building, the girl?, but as composed, I do not think i see what you want me to see
4. Almost the same as 3, it is just to "busy", leaving me not knowing where to look and what to see. I think if the bloke on the bicycle was not in the shot, it would have been nice
5. Nice clear and sharp close up of ?....showing you've got a nice lens there
6. I like the most, if only, The silver flask? and red sellotape holder, was cropped out, and you took it from a lower angle, to have her eyes and nose clear in one of the grid spaces
Thanks for asking us to look at it, it also help me to learn to cocentrate more on composition when I take a shot next time
1. The point of the shot was the girls, actually. The building is always going to be there, so I used it only as context. I understand your viewpoint though.
2. Thanks
3. The building and clouds were what I found interesting, but I like to throw some people into my shots to give them some life. Their positions could have definitely been better though, so I guess my timing was off.
4. I took a few shots of this scene, and I thought the guy on the bike balanced out the right side a bit, which otherwise was rather empty. But, as they say, less is more, so I'm inclined to agree with you.
5. It was a statue thing.
6. Thanks for the suggestions.