Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wolves
Lens: Sigma 70-300 APO Camera: K20d Photo Location: Home ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: valleylad, 02-19-2011, 10:41 AM

There has been a pair of eastern wolves living this winter on an island that I can see out my front window. As I hadn't seen them in the past 2 weeks I assumed they had moved back to the mainland in search of food or shelter. This particular sunny but cold day, I once again saw them laying in the snow and just seemingly enjoying life. Suddenly I spotted another one, then another, all the way up to a total of 8! As they congregated on the ice they seemed to become restless and alert. As I watched and wondered what was the reason for the change I saw a plane coming towards them at tree top height. The wolves began to scatter and as the plane banked and came back towards them, they took off at full speed with some running blindly out into the center of the lake with the plane in hot pursuit. What a shame that the pilot and plane changed such a peaceful scene into a fearful reality for the wolves.

Attached Images

Last edited by valleylad; 02-19-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Views: 1,430
02-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a view from your front window and it must of been exciting to see the group form. Did they do that for a "safer in numbers" purpose? Are wolves hunted or protected in Canada, wondering if that was a spotter/hunt plane. thanks for sharing Bob
02-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lucky you to be able to see wolves out your front window. I just love these creatures but have never seen one in the wild. I keep hoping I will get a photo of one whenver I visit Yellowstone. To bad you couldnt have taken a closer shot.
02-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
What a view from your front window and it must of been exciting to see the group form. Did they do that for a "safer in numbers" purpose? Are wolves hunted or protected in Canada, wondering if that was a spotter/hunt plane. thanks for sharing Bob
Thanks for the comments Bob. Wolves are protected in Ontario, Canada. They are very social animals with a strict dominance order of Alpha and beta. They usually exist in packs of 2 to as high as 15. They are very skilled hunters which feed on deer, beaver. rodents and have been known to kill black bear and moose. I'm very fortunate to be able to look out my window and see such beautiful animals. The plane I believe was a private aircraft. If your interested there is more info here on the Eastern Wolf.

Last edited by valleylad; 02-19-2011 at 02:52 PM.
02-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Lucky you to be able to see wolves out your front window. I just love these creatures but have never seen one in the wild. I keep hoping I will get a photo of one whenver I visit Yellowstone. To bad you couldnt have taken a closer shot.
Ah the beauty of a 70-300 Sigma. The islands and the wolves were a good mile out on the river from my front door but visible to the naked eye. I wish I could have been closer as well. It is common to hear them howling at night and early in the morning from outside my house. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by valleylad; 02-19-2011 at 03:05 PM.