Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Texas church and parsonage in HDR
Lens: Tamron 18-200 Camera: Pentax Kx Photo Location: Grove Texas ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: ggeorge11, 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Here are few shots of a church, the original parsonage and an old homestead near Grove Texas

Views: 5,800
02-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saw these yesterday, very nicely done! Love that 2nd one, it looks very familiar....many old homes like that in parts of Texas, but they are disappearing rapidly.
Nice Work!

Best Regards!
Rupert
02-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks! I really enjoy looking for these place. The growing problem has been vandals, and with the churches, people get really nervous when they see a "stranger" walking around. I have started to make sure I ALWAYS wave to folks if I see them looking at me. Foe some reason, it starts to put them at ease. I even have gotten lucky enough to visit with some of the folks, and wind up getting some great stories form them about the area, and I use that to get me to new areas.
02-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Nice shots. like the last two shots. old worn houses tell some interesting stories. It is always nice when people come and talk to you while you are taking pictures it certainly reduces their anxieties. If only like the good old days when we all talked to each other

02-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good job on these George. I like the second one the best.
02-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Scott and Susan.
02-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Church looks good in #1 sky is kinda funky but #2 and #3 are great well done.

02-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks sir, and you are right on the money with the sky- That is because the wind was blowing like mad, and clouds were really moving, so when I layered the three shots, the clouds were not going to line up. If you look at to the left of the steeple, you can see how much the clouds had moved during the three shots. Plus the trees moved some also.
02-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Lots of old places in Texas, but going fast....here are a couple you might enjoy.

Near Tolar Tx at Rock Church Cemetary
[IMG] [/IMG]

Near Cranfills Gap....Almost gone........
[IMG] [/IMG]

I hope you post more, I always enjoy viewing these old places.
Best Regards
02-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice job on St Pauls and very good HDR except the uncooperative clouds

Have you been around to St. Olaf Kirke (Old Rock Church) east of Cranfills Gap?

Here is one shot from the back of the church. The scan from the negative isn't great.
Attached Images

02-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Rupert! Great to see you again. Missed our online talks, but I may have time to come back and snoop around PentaxForums now and then. Nice photos of the church.

And great HDR at the top. I enjoy all these representations of pieces of our history fading away quickly. Seems like the future world is all plastic and concrete. The craftsmanship in these old houses, churches and other buildings is not being replicated today. Sorta sad, but everything in the world is about change. And change will keep coming.
02-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All of these are great shots also! Rupert, I have been to that area a few times, but have not had the chance to shoot there. I will be in HICO in May for the Steak Cook off, So, I will put that on my route. WJW, I would love ot see the inside of that church also.
02-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Don't want to hijack this thread, but it is good to converse with friends here, old and new!

WJW-Yes, I have been there to the old Norwegian Church. I did a large job in Cranfills Gap a few years back and took a few shots in the area while there.

Another old house at Cranfills Gap I liked.....

Yucatan, always good to see an old friend here! Come back often, I miss you!

George, be sure to visit the City Park at Hico, better still, mail me when you are coming, maybe we can meet up...I like steak too!
Bridge to City Park ....Hico

If you visit the old Church at Rock Church, do not miss the Swinging Bridge right behind it. Most people don't even know it is there and it is a good shoot and historic sight that won't be there forever.

There are still many old homes like this one in the general Hico area...this one in Bluffdale.

Any of you guys that like to shoot old structures, I always appreciate what you post here. There are many stories in these old places.....I know a good many of them, and they are all very interesting.
Best Regards
Rupert

Last edited by Rupert; 02-26-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: corrections
02-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
All of these are great shots also! Rupert, I have been to that area a few times, but have not had the chance to shoot there. I will be in HICO in May for the Steak Cook off, So, I will put that on my route. WJW, I would love ot see the inside of that church also.
The church is used to be left unlocked so I assume it still is. I must have taken my photo either before or after Rupert as the steeple had been freshly shingled when I was there. There are a few interior photos here: MobileMe Gallery. The shots were mostly done with a Yashica-24 on Kodak film and the negatives scanned. Probably Portra and Plus-X.
02-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
The church is used to be left unlocked so I assume it still is. I must have taken my photo either before or after Rupert as the steeple had been freshly shingled when I was there. There are a few interior photos here: MobileMe Gallery. The shots were mostly done with a Yashica-24 on Kodak film and the negatives scanned. Probably Portra and Plus-X.
You have some great shots over there, I hope others will take a peek. I have never seen inside the Church, so I appreciate those shots of the inside.....I always wondered?
That is a nice area of Texas, and down the road is Meridian State Park...if you haven't been, try it! Beautiful scenery and a nice lake with an old rock pavilion.
Best Regards!