Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
first "model" shoot
Posted By: devisor, 10-17-2007, 12:10 AM

3 light setup..

light setup.

1 285hv, in umbrella for hair light (above model)
1 285hv, in umbrella camera right for fill (did not fire at all images for some reason)
1 285hv, in softboks as key light.. front of camera..

Ebay cactus v2s triggers.. have to get something better.
Views: 1,627
10-17-2007, 03:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I love the second image, great pose and lighting. Thanks you for sharing!
10-17-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good shots, the exposure is a bit better on the second one, skin color on the legs looks better.

btw umbrella for hairlight? that sounds a bit strange to me, normally hairlight would be a gridspot, snoot, small sb or striplight, ie something more directional, and I havent seen anyone use a hairlight when the model is that close to the background..
10-17-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I really like the second shot.

Well executed.

10-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Good shots, the exposure is a bit better on the second one, skin color on the legs looks better.

btw umbrella for hairlight? that sounds a bit strange to me, normally hairlight would be a gridspot, snoot, small sb or striplight, ie something more directional, and I havent seen anyone use a hairlight when the model is that close to the background..

THX..

about the umbrella for hair.. I would love to have a snoot instead, but I don't.. I'll get one when my budget allows it.. But then again... it should be simple to build.

This was my first try with 3 light setup.. It was fun, and I liked what I could do.. so more experiments are on its way.
10-17-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. Just a comment on the background and it's subjective but I'm not crazy about the dark bottom of the backdrop. The boots kinda get lost in the floor/wall. The lighting in 2 is great. I think a snoot would be eay to build but I like the soft hairlight you got with the umbrella. Good stuff!
10-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devisor Quote
THX..

about the umbrella for hair.. I would love to have a snoot instead, but I don't.. I'll get one when my budget allows it.. But then again... it should be simple to build.

This was my first try with 3 light setup.. It was fun, and I liked what I could do.. so more experiments are on its way.
Well good news its very cheap and easy to make:
Strobist: Lighting 101: Cereal Box Snoots and GoBo's
Strobist: Free and So Easy: DIY Grid Spots for Your Flash
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/06/more-cheap-and-easy-grid-spots.html
10-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AND, have you tried the last 2 ideas (Grid spots)? They are good ideas (that a great site) I'd be nervous about using these materials that close to the flash lens. I accidently laid my (fully charged and turned on) AF540 on a table that had an extension cord on it. I accidentally fired the flash and saw a puff of smoke rise from the wire. It slightly burned the wire jacket. If you try this I'd strongly suggest that anything close to the front lens of the flash have some space or be made from metal.

10-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
and
Veteran Member

No I havent.. not yet.. but really?! My flashes normally dont get warm unless I really run them fast with several consecutive flashes. Altho I dont have the 540, I have the 360 and some sb 26's all of which are lower power than the 540 so I dunno. But I havent heard of anyone reporting this kind of problem with these ideas. Im amazed that you actually got a puff of smoke that sounds crazy
10-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I agree with a few other posters.... that second shot is great! Good pose, beautifully lit... just a great mood.
10-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
one more from the same night..