Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My first wedding! (Finally going up!)
Posted By: codiac2600, 10-17-2007, 03:49 AM

Well I did it and I'm done with the main album and all the post processing. It's taken me probably 30 hours of time outside of my main work to get these all done and ready and now I have some of my favs here to show you guys and hopefully get some critiques. I shot these with one of two lenses, the Sigma 28mm 1.8 or the Pentax DA* 50-135mm 2.8, and had each lens on there own body, which was a blast. Most shots are at ISO 1000 or greater in the church except for ones where I used my lighting kit afterwards for group shots. My final album is much lower than what I had hoped for but this wedding was a disaster in terms of organization with the bride being over 4 hours late and the video photographer being s snobby ass and not letting me do any set up shots in the beginning of the show which was only 45 minutes anyway, but oh well right. I'd really like the thank Davemdsn for all his help getting me through a lot of the wedding stuff and such so if you see this Dave, thanks buddy! You can see the whole album here Photography 2.0 - Dreams Realized - powered by SmugMug.

For my style since I had no time what-so-ever I shot it photojournalist style because all I could get were candids or shots between the video guy doing his thang, but in the end I was happy with my result and felt my time and pay as almost worth it (def should have asked for more, but I won't be greedy lol) Thanks for listening and here are the pictures!

Last edited by codiac2600; 10-17-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Views: 2,577
10-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
The happy couple and the family will cherish these for generations! Nicely done! I like your b/w conversions too!
Thanks Hamid!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The black and white conversion really works well.

The 2nd shot - the bride looks so artistic with her left gaze. A lot of sentiment.

Nicely done and something to learn from
Thank you Roentarre!

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Congrats - you did a great job. Shooting a wedding is high on my list of nightmare duties! Here's to you for being one of the brave ones to endure the brides, the grooms, the parents, and the videographers (that term just makes me laugh).
Actually the family was great, my only problem was a 4 hours late bride and no time for artistic shots. Basically I made these shots by paying constant attention to what was going on and never really letting go of the shutter.

10-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Weddings are tough. Weddings where the bride shows up 4 hours late, and looks so damn uncomfortable the whole time that passive viewers know that she really didn't want to be there, compound the problem.

However, the photographer must be in charge of his craft, absolutely. You have to be able to get your shots and do a good job of it, no matter the constraints. Don't get into tiffs with the other staff; arguing with a videographer is immature.

Either that, or have the cajones to walk out--walk right out the door--if you realize the situation is so bad that it would hurt you more to finish the job.

You've gotten some compliments, so I don't feel so bad about not blowing sunshine up your skirt. Some of these are awful. It looks like you severely underexposed many shots, and then tried to pull them back with photoshop. It doesn't work. (underexposure also leads me to think that you had trouble with the AF--ah, some shots are out of focus--and you really need to exercise your "lighting kit" to give you more DOF working room)

Your B&W conversions are pretty poor--did you ever shot B&W film? Catholics really are a miserable lot, but film noir isn't the style I would choose for my wedding (and I adore film noir.)

If your client is happy, they are happy. But for you, I'd chalk this up to a learning experience and get back to studying. If you want to do B&W, start there. Practice getting good skin tones too. How do you get to Carnegie hall?
10-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
Weddings are tough. Weddings where the bride shows up 4 hours late, and looks so damn uncomfortable the whole time that passive viewers know that she really didn't want to be there, compound the problem.

However, the photographer must be in charge of his craft, absolutely. You have to be able to get your shots and do a good job of it, no matter the constraints. Don't get into tiffs with the other staff; arguing with a videographer is immature.

Either that, or have the cajones to walk out--walk right out the door--if you realize the situation is so bad that it would hurt you more to finish the job.

You've gotten some compliments, so I don't feel so bad about not blowing sunshine up your skirt. Some of these are awful. It looks like you severely underexposed many shots, and then tried to pull them back with photoshop. It doesn't work. (underexposure also leads me to think that you had trouble with the AF--ah, some shots are out of focus--and you really need to exercise your "lighting kit" to give you more DOF working room)

Your B&W conversions are pretty poor--did you ever shot B&W film? Catholics really are a miserable lot, but film nor isn't the style I would choose for my wedding (and I adore film noir.)

If your client is happy, they are happy. But for you, I'd chalk this up to a learning experience and get back to studying. If you want to do B&W, start there. Practice getting good skin tones too. How do you get to Carnegie hall?
Rather harsh I'd say. Constructive criticism is helpful but your comments don't offer that. Having worked with a long time pro some years ago I can attest to the fact that not every shot works. There's plenty of duds (about half the client never sees). It's a big difference from looking at a scenic shot or a model in a studio and having 20 minutes to set up each shot. IMO this is a good series. Sure some shots don't look the greatest and he faced some challenges. But on the whole this is a good set and some excellent shots the client should be very happy with.

Catholics? I'm not one but that comment alone discredits anything you said. Your prejudice clearly shows and a comment like that should stay out of the forum or general social commentary.
At 22 I'd suspect you also have limited B&W experience.

PM sent Chris
10-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote

Your B&W conversions are pretty poor--did you ever shot B&W film? Catholics really are a miserable lot, but film noir isn't the style I would choose for my wedding (and I adore film noir.)

She was late because she was unorganized and not because she didn't want to be there.

I never got into a tiff with anyone, I worked around them, talked to them kindly and did my thing in a professional manner. Only afterwards did the family discuss to me that they hated how the video man was constantly pushy and in the way.

Actually none of my shots were underexposed, most had proper exposure or a little over exposure if anything it was because the shots were at ISO 1600 which is naturally going to be grainy and or noisy. I think your monitor or vision is poor IMO. I was not able to use the lighting kit because being a traditional Catholic wedding flash is not allowed before or during the ceremony and only afterwards am I able to use any of my equipment besides a camera with a lens attached and I had less than 15 minutes to do any of that. Oh and you've mistook OOF for DOF, shooting at 2.8 there just isnt a lot of DOF and the main subject is in focus.

My B&W conversions may be poor to you but maybe an idea of how to do a "correct B&W" conversion would have helped more than being rude about it. I do take some offense to that since I am also Catholic so you may be beating up the wrong bush.

This was a learning experience as it was my first wedding and I charged them accordingly. I did get good skin tones for print maybe again you should calibrate your monitor because in general Pentax has the best skin tones from all the brands besides blads.

I'm glad you were honest but some of your points were just plain rude and without reason.

10-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #20

It's interesting the way bdavis talks.. it would seem as though she's shot plenty of weddings before... my guess would be none..zero. zilch.. I'd put money on the fact that she's never a done wedding to save her life.

Coming from someone who's shot a wedding before, like i said, you had plenty of solid shots, given the conditions you had to work with.

I too, am Catholic, and take offense to what she's said, but that is a completely different matter.

I can't see any of the color shots you posted (all red x's) but from the stuff I've seen in some other wedding shots, the customer seems to like.. the dress a little more blown out than normal, or some 'softer' glamour style shots. Just some suggestions for more pp when you put the album together.

Edit: Oh I just looked through your album again, would just to offer up another suggestion. (I know you had limited time and what not.. but this is for future reference)

Attention to detail... shoot the small, little things. For example. just the hands of the B & G with the rings over her bouquet flowers. Or the back of the flower girl's dress, or the just pillow with the rings on it.. or just the necklace that the bride has on.. I think you get the point lol

Last edited by qdoan; 10-19-2007 at 08:01 AM.
10-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you did well for your first wedding. My only wish is that #6 (the kiss) from the first series was vertical and just have the bride and groom.

Oh, and I like the last one of the first set you posted, but you should completely desaturate the neon beer sign behind it - that's the first thing my eye went to, since most of the color is gone except that.

I like the outdoor bride and groom shot from the first series, I think that's the strongest one of the bunch.
10-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Nice job Chris - Weddings are difficult I can only image - my only involvement is I am married and have been to quite a few. Now receptions ...ummm they are fun (took about 200 shots at my nephews a few months ago ) - mind you I was not paid so felt no pressue and well open bar

It seems you are expanding your talents and kudo's for chasing the dream, and going outside your comfort zone. I think you captured some once in a lifetime memeories for them and if they are happy then indeed a job well done.

I too can only see red 'x' on the color ones.

10-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I was not able to use the lighting kit because being a traditional Catholic wedding flash is not allowed before or during the ceremony
Since when???? There has only been 2 catholic sites I've been asked not to use flash - the Vatican and St. John's Cathedral in Malta.

The only fault I found with Beth's comments is that she was brutally honest although I too wonder what experience she has to make such comments.

I've done a few weddings and engagements ALL free because they've always been for people who couldn't afford a "real" photographer, what ever that means. So, I know how tough shooting a wedding can be.

Chris, I think you did a good job and as long as the client is happy your job was DONE. Of course YOU may not be happy with the result so, as YOU say, chalk it up for experience. Don't be offended by comments or feedback people are trying to help but it doesn't always come out right - and I'm guilty of that more often than I care to admit.

I WAS baptised catholic and I was NOT offended by the comment made, I don't think it was meant to degrade the catholics.
10-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Peter, you've misinterpreted my tone, but if you would like to discredit my post based on my offhand comment about Catholics, be my guest.

As a once Confirmed, now-recovering soul, I find the artistic interpretation of a wedding done entirely B&W to fit a "Catholic" theme entirely humorous. I know of at least one other photographer around these parts was offended by this 'theme', because it shows a lack of understanding (or a mistaken assumption that Catholics have a stick up their abnormally somber collective asses). Being as I've been on the other side, and even with my current ideological differences with the old white men in charge of the institution in question, I feel my stated opinion still stands. I repeat, a Wellesian treatment of wedding photographs is a questionable one, and on this point, I find the B&W conversions to be unsatisfactory. Chris, if you would like some B&W workflows, I'd start with Scott Kelby and work through his citations. DYOFR.

It's a shame that ageist & ad hominem attacks still occur on these forums. You're right, qdoan, I haven't shot a wedding. But it isn't my capabilities keeping me from shooting one. Instead, I've worked my ass off, gotten massacred in critiques far more harsh than anything I've ever seen on these forums, and used the motivation to get better. I've never had to resort to utterly thankless, (professionally) perilous job that is wedding photography to make money (and I had the good sense right from the get go to avoid it like the plague.) I've sold two large, traditionally printed, B&W fine art prints this week. When was the last time you were in the soup, Pete Z.?

Oh, and I've used flash in Catholic churches on several occasions. Haven't been stopped yet.
10-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nice job Chris, I like them all.

I've got 2 weddings booked in for next spring, and hope that I can match your picture quality.
I sure won't be getting rich off of either of them, but they've both already brought me additional work which I've enjoyed