Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first wedding! (Finally going up!)
Posted By: codiac2600, 10-17-2007, 03:49 AM

Well I did it and I'm done with the main album and all the post processing. It's taken me probably 30 hours of time outside of my main work to get these all done and ready and now I have some of my favs here to show you guys and hopefully get some critiques. I shot these with one of two lenses, the Sigma 28mm 1.8 or the Pentax DA* 50-135mm 2.8, and had each lens on there own body, which was a blast. Most shots are at ISO 1000 or greater in the church except for ones where I used my lighting kit afterwards for group shots. My final album is much lower than what I had hoped for but this wedding was a disaster in terms of organization with the bride being over 4 hours late and the video photographer being s snobby ass and not letting me do any set up shots in the beginning of the show which was only 45 minutes anyway, but oh well right. I'd really like the thank Davemdsn for all his help getting me through a lot of the wedding stuff and such so if you see this Dave, thanks buddy! You can see the whole album here Photography 2.0 - Dreams Realized - powered by SmugMug.

For my style since I had no time what-so-ever I shot it photojournalist style because all I could get were candids or shots between the video guy doing his thang, but in the end I was happy with my result and felt my time and pay as almost worth it (def should have asked for more, but I won't be greedy lol) Thanks for listening and here are the pictures!

Last edited by codiac2600; 10-17-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Views: 2,578
10-17-2007, 04:40 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats!

I think you captured some great moments here. I had a brief glance on the link as well. If I was a client i would be pleased. Only thing is the whites in a few of the shots seem to be a bit blown out. You could shoot weddings anytime!

Regards
10-17-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series Chris, You've captured the day well from what I see on the site. It's a lot tougher than it appears. No time for many shots to get set up etc. The camera did well at the higher ISO from what I see there. Were you as pleased with the colour versions (sometimes B&W can save a colour shot that didn't work IMO).

What did you use as your 'lighting kit'.

Thanks for sharing and it looks like the business end of this is starting to work for you (newspaper interview etc)

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-17-2007 at 08:15 AM.
10-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aanund Quote
Congrats!

I think you captured some great moments here. I had a brief glance on the link as well. If I was a client i would be pleased. Only thing is the whites in a few of the shots seem to be a bit blown out. You could shoot weddings anytime!

Regards
Thank Aanund! Yes, I did lose some highlights due to the super super conditions and I would have been safe if I had any time to set up diffusers or anything bu I didn't so I just manually underexposed a bit and shot away to capture as many shots as possible instead of getting one or two great shots from checking my histogram all the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Great series Chris, You've captured the day well from what I see on the site. It's a lot tougher than it appears. No time for many shots to get set up etc. The camera did well at th ehigher ISO from what I see there. Were you as pleased with the colour versions (sometimes B&W can save a colour shot that didn't work IMO).

What did you use as your 'lighting kit'.

Thanks for sharing and it looks like the business end of this is starting to work for you (newspaper interview etc)
Hey Peter thanks for the kind words! I'll post some colour images up here in a little bit and the K10D didn't miss a beat on that because I shot RAW at auto white balance which made the images just a tad too warm for me on the no flash images and in the shade a little too cool so it took me a little bit per image to get it right but it was perfect after little or no trouble.

10-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

im just seeing the red x's so im going over to your flickr....im looking for a wedding and there is a chick in her skivies right on top....surprise! haha
10-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
im just seeing the red x's so im going over to your flickr....im looking for a wedding and there is a chick in her skivies right on top....surprise! haha
Thats weird... the link is actually at my smug mug which I posted in the first thread. Here is the link again Photography 2.0 - Photography Unrestricted and just go to the weddings section. Thanks for looking!
10-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I actually clicked on all the pictures. Might be my connection, but there were numerous pics that did not enlarge, only had the thumbnail on the left and just gave me a blank image on the right. I even click on other pictures, then click back, but still no dice.

Did the client request for all B&W? I saw one desaturated picture and the rest were B&W. I was just curious

I see that you had a pentaxphotogallery link at the bottom. But I didn't see your name on there anywhere around it. Just FYI before your future clients go there and not know who to look for

Looks like you had fun. Which ones are your favorites in this series?

10-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Chris,

They are very well done, I think you covered the wedding great. It is too bad the videographer wouldn't let you set some shots up, but still you managed to pull off yet another amazing job.
10-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #9

Nice job!

Avant posed the same question I was going to ask about the B & W theme you have going on in the album. I'm assuming this was a catholic wedding perhaps? So you had time time to get some decents shots off. I did my first wedding back in august and man it was hectic (ceremony was 15-20 min max)

Question for you about the *50-135, did you feel that range was ideal for shooting the wedding with? I ended shooting my with the DA 14 f2.8 and Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and found myself looking for some extra reach at times.
10-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some of the colour images that I felt were the best and I fxed some of the linking errors with the previous set of images.

10-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice series Chris! You're showing your capabilities with people very nicely! I'd be a happy photographer...

Look forward to more of them!

Cheers,
Marc
10-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
I actually clicked on all the pictures. Might be my connection, but there were numerous pics that did not enlarge, only had the thumbnail on the left and just gave me a blank image on the right. I even click on other pictures, then click back, but still no dice.

Did the client request for all B&W? I saw one desaturated picture and the rest were B&W. I was just curious

I see that you had a pentaxphotogallery link at the bottom. But I didn't see your name on there anywhere around it. Just FYI before your future clients go there and not know who to look for

Looks like you had fun. Which ones are your favorites in this series?
Yeah Smug Mug was having some problems bt they are now sorted out so everything is working well. the B&W was my idea because it seemed to fit the theme of typical Catholic Wedding. Basically my idea was the main photo album would have about 100 B&W images of the best emotional/amazing pics and the other pics would be all colour and would include many of the original B&W images that didn't need the treatment to fix errors.

I'll add my name under there somewhere and thanks for pointing that out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
Chris,

They are very well done, I think you covered the wedding great. It is too bad the videographer wouldn't let you set some shots up, but still you managed to pull off yet another amazing job.
Thanks Gaelen and yeah the family understood and even the brides father mentioned that the videographer was a pushy and rude and just "in the way" most of the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by qdoan Quote
Nice job!

Avant posed the same question I was going to ask about the B & W theme you have going on in the album. I'm assuming this was a catholic wedding perhaps? So you had time time to get some decents shots off. I did my first wedding back in august and man it was hectic (ceremony was 15-20 min max)

Question for you about the *50-135, did you feel that range was ideal for shooting the wedding with? I ended shooting my with the DA 14 f2.8 and Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and found myself looking for some extra reach at times.
The B&W theme for the main album was because of the Catholic Theme I had going. The ceremony here was about an hour and a half but I had 15-20 to do setup pics and groups shots... ugh.

The DA*50-135 is the perfect wedding lens IMO because the soft bokeh covers up background noise, has a decent wide for close portraits and the length is just enough to reach where you want to be. I wish I had a wider lens so I sold my Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 for the 16-50mm 2.8 DA* to combo with the 50-135mm da*. Seems like a great combo and we'll hopefully see some great results from it.
10-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
Inactive Account

The happy couple and the family will cherish these for generations! Nicely done! I like your b/w conversions too!
10-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The black and white conversion really works well.

The 2nd shot - the bride looks so artistic with her left gaze. A lot of sentiment.

Nicely done and something to learn from
10-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats - you did a great job. Shooting a wedding is high on my list of nightmare duties! Here's to you for being one of the brave ones to endure the brides, the grooms, the parents, and the videographers (that term just makes me laugh).