Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Erin, B/W headshot
Lens: FA77 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: studio ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Todd Adamson, 02-25-2011, 06:00 PM

I was trying out some new film with Erin today. This was just a test shot with the K-5, to confirm exposure. But I think it's nice...loved her smile in this one. Hopefully the film I'll have back next week will have an in-focus shot or two!

Views: 3,436
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks exceptional to me, Todd. Her eyes are riveting; BMW angel eyes.

Jer
02-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The catch-light from the ring-light, at the same diameter as her pupil, is a little disconcerting.
02-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

It's a nice shot, but what I notice first and most are her eyelashes. They're so sharp in comparison to the rest of the shot.

02-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for looking, guys.

I used an edge mask for sharpening, and I may have overdone it a little in this version. I have a more stylized color version I almost posted, but then decided that most people might think it was completely overcooked, so did this quickie B/W version.
02-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Todd, look at the eyes, not quite right, right??
02-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Todd, look at the eyes, not quite right, right??
Depends on your perspective, I guess. Are you talking about my oversharpening that's been discussed already? I may have time to go back and fix that today.

If you're referring to the lighting, well again, a matter of opinion. I personally like the ringlight, but am all too aware that not everyone does.

02-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The ringlight reflection is an eye-catcher for sure . I think it is growing on me, keeps looking better. (This implies coming back to the image which is praise in thin disguise as such, I guess .
02-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked again, Todd - and I still think this is a cool shot, though I didn't realize the light in her eyes came from a ring flash, but I think it's a wonderful effect. Again - you outa sell this to BMW - it'd make a great centerpiece for a commercial.

Jer
02-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the pose, expression and framing... but I have to say I hate ringlights for portraits. They produce such flat light that there is no modeling and the highlights in the eyes just don't work (for me anyway).
02-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I like the pose, expression and framing... but I have to say I hate ringlights for portraits. They produce such flat light that there is no modeling and the highlights in the eyes just don't work (for me anyway).
I, on the other side, like ring lights for portaits very much, but only as a fill and in combination with another main light. So, I guess, I use rls only as a convenient substitute for a beauty dish, if I am too lazy to set the bd up...

Though I agree, that I find the catch light too obvious in this shot, as it is rimming the iris too strongly for my liking.

Ben
02-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments, everyone. I re-uploaded the file, with no sharpening applied, and when I downsized I used the plain Bicubic algorithm. It doesn't look much different, LOL. I guess the FA77 is just ridiculously sharp at f/4. Oh well, I'll try and live with it.

A few notes regarding my ringlight. It's not a flash, but rather a cheap-ass Chinese deal I got off eBay. Daylight(ish) fluorescent bulb, about 14" in diameter. I like it because it was cheap, it's light, I can combine it with window light, and because it directly brings me more clients. I don't like the small size, because if I want the catchlights to be obvious, I have to get it close, so can only do headshots.

It's not my favorite type of lighting, for the "flat light" reason that Mike mentioned, though I don't mind the catchlights. But while it's become an overused and inappropriately used tool in photographer circles (much like HDR), it's still not all that common in the mainstream, and people instantly notice the different look. So when I do a high school senior session, I normally send them a few small watermarked jpgs for their Facebook page. Invariably, when they post them, the ringlight shots are the ones that people go nuts over, and about half of my new senior clients ask for it when they come in. Erin is working as an intern at the studio right now, and we decided to do some film shots yesterday. I was only concerned about how the resulting film looked, colorwise, since I am just starting to mess with film, so I told Erin we could do whatever she wanted. She went right for the ringlight.

Just for fun, here's a couple more files. The same shot as above with more radical processing, plus a different shot with a low contrast look that I don't normally prefer, but I was just experimenting. Another ringlight shot, my apologies.

02-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The catch-light from the ring-light, at the same diameter as her pupil, is a little disconcerting.
I get basically the same feeling. Very distacting and somewhat unsettling. Not sure if I have ever seen this kind of effect before. Is that the effect you were going for?
02-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Despite what many photographers here say, the truth is...the vast majority of folks on this site are not paid photographers and this style of image is making YOU money.

That being said...I like these images (a lot) and can see why this is bringing in business for you.

Well done!

c[_]
02-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Is that the effect you were going for?
Yes. I don't generally post accidents, because I'm not one of those people who often has "happy" accidents. LOL, when I screw up, I do it pretty dramatically.