Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sports Car Myth Debunked!
Camera: Panasonic LX5 Photo Location: My Driveway 
Posted By: Sailor, 02-28-2011, 04:38 PM

There is an urban legend - generally regarded as fully established as General Relativity, Quantum Theory and the Three Laws of Thermodynamics - that sports cars by their nature cannot (or refuse to) provide adequate cargo space for day-to-day living. We now have demonstrated experimentally that this bit of lore is based on faulty observations. Thus, the visible light spectrum of Figure 1 (vide infra) clearly indicates that a trunk (or rear boot) of a roadster can contain the important food groups. Owing to the opaque nature of the white, titanium dioxide-filled polyethylene bag (also visible), spectral evidence for the presence of 5 Jazz apples, 2"vine ripe" tomatoes, 6 "Select" biscuits and 1 can of Barbasol shaving cream is not available; these contents were verified manually after removing and opening the bag.

Moreover, our work suggests that a roadster may be able to hold additional cargo, since a spectrum of the front boot of the experimental subject appears to be empty (Figure 2). This promising observation will be explored futher as resources become available.

Finally, this research also suggests that behavioral characteristics of 64-year-old males, exposed to strong ambient sunlight and temperatures of 27C, may be worth additional examination.

J. E. Sailor* and B. S. Loud
Institute of Transportational Physics and Chemistry

Submitted: February 27, 2011.
Accepted for publication (online): February 28, 2011

*To whom correspondence should be addressed.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Views: 2,114
02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jer, I have been involved with this dilemma of space vs. time many times over my life. The first encounter was when I graduated in 1966, purchasing a 66 Corvette 427 cid, 425hp roadster. I had more than enough room to cruise the streets, blow the doors off of the curious and I even had room for this one special girl. But, that was the beginning of the downfall of the roadster. When she graduated in 67, and we soon married 3 months later, my dream machine suddenly became cramped. It wasn't this way when we dated, it wasn't long after that I realized I was losing control of my world, the world of the roadster. Then a year after, my roadster days were doomed, a child came into our lives. Goodbye roadster...I did keep trying over the years, purchased another 4 Corvettes and even tried a Porsche, but something always came along and chased my roadster dreams away. My message to you is be careful who wants to ride in your roadster, who you talk to or anyone who suggests any type of change, even if they are "Winds of Change".
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow I truly enjoyed the shots, the cargo and the story. (Bob's as well) I have never been much of a car guy , functional was the criteria and I only every bought 2 new ones and they were in my late 40's.

But I am and always have been more of a '3 bodies in a trunk' kinda guy. My current vehicles are the smallest I have ever owned however as the 'caddies' are now owned by our offspring.

But I also believe we live within our means and this applies to cargo space as well. Priorites are re-arranged and damn it ditch the Dr. Pepper as that does not mix well with Rum (well if it was the only thing left perhaps ..... )
02-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would love to have your problem and you were probably on your way to your sailboat. I am almost feeling sorry for you bud... Where the food!!! Cheers JIMBO

03-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jer, I have been involved with this dilemma of space vs. time many times over my life. The first encounter was when I graduated in 1966, purchasing a 66 Corvette 427 cid, 425hp roadster. I had more than enough room to cruise the streets, blow the doors off of the curious and I even had room for this one special girl. But, that was the beginning of the downfall of the roadster. When she graduated in 67, and we soon married 3 months later, my dream machine suddenly became cramped. It wasn't this way when we dated, it wasn't long after that I realized I was losing control of my world, the world of the roadster. Then a year after, my roadster days were doomed, a child came into our lives. Goodbye roadster...I did keep trying over the years, purchased another 4 Corvettes and even tried a Porsche, but something always came along and chased my roadster dreams away. My message to you is be careful who wants to ride in your roadster, who you talk to or anyone who suggests any type of change, even if they are "Winds of Change".
Good advice, Bob; were I to pick up any strange gal, I'd get a dent in my head - my bride of 42 years still swings a mean rolling pin! Since we were married in '68, Connie and I have managed to have at least one "interesting" car, even during the years we were raising our two girls. The Boxster is the latest of a succession of four roadsters we've owned since '95, and I'm hoping I'm young enough that it won't be my last. Space is not a problem now with the kids grown and gone; we have my BMW 328i as a "daily driver" and Connie's old, but faithful, Honda Accord to do the real grocery getting.

Got any shots of the '66 you could scan and post - I'd love to see it.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow I truly enjoyed the shots, the cargo and the story. (Bob's as well) I have never been much of a car guy , functional was the criteria and I only every bought 2 new ones and they were in my late 40's.

But I am and always have been more of a '3 bodies in a trunk' kinda guy. My current vehicles are the smallest I have ever owned however as the 'caddies' are now owned by our offspring.

But I also believe we live within our means and this applies to cargo space as well. Priorites are re-arranged and damn it ditch the Dr. Pepper as that does not mix well with Rum (well if it was the only thing left perhaps ..... )
Thanks, Dave. I was reminded yesterday of my pre-retirement life, which prompted me to post this "story" in the turgid style we use in publishing papers in the scientific literature. And . . . . . as of yesterday, Dr. Pepper is out of the picture!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I would love to have your problem and you were probably on your way to your sailboat. I am almost feeling sorry for you bud... Where the food!!! Cheers JIMBO
Who needs food? Thanks for looking at this silly post, buddy. Boat days are coming!

Jer
03-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter

new sports cars have lots more cargo space than the old ones thats for sure!

my first car, a 1988 Mazda RX-7 Turbo AE only had whatever space their was between the seats and the hatch, no cupholders
03-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

This was just too funny Jer and I laughed so hard I spit out my coffee. I owned an Alfa once that had a huge cargo space. I always felt that when I drove down the highway with the top down my hair grew longer a flew behind me like a bridal veil. It also made me look much younger. Those were the days. It was red of course.

03-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
new sports cars have lots more cargo space than the old ones thats for sure!

my first car, a 1988 Mazda RX-7 Turbo AE only had whatever space their was between the seats and the hatch, no cupholders
Yeah - the Boxster, with its mid-engine layout, has a remarkable amount of luggage room - not that I care. I would have bought, even if it wouldn't hold an extra handkerchief .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
This was just too funny Jer and I laughed so hard I spit out my coffee. I owned an Alfa once that had a huge cargo space. I always felt that when I drove down the highway with the top down my hair grew longer a flew behind me like a bridal veil. It also made me look much younger. Those were the days. It was red of course.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Susan. I remember the Alfas well - I drove a few but never managed to buy one. They sure had personality. With the Chrysler-Fiat association, we may see Alfas here again . . . who knows?

Jer
03-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
too much pop, not enuff beer.... disproportionate liquid ratio... dave m
03-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
too much pop, not enuff beer.... disproportionate liquid ratio... dave m
Can't afford it Dave. But I just drank a Big Red - I wonder if I can trade in the rest of 'em for something else. Also, I don't think I've heard the word "pop" since I lived in Boston.

Jer