Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Spearfish Canyon, South Dakota
Posted By: Bob Harris, 03-01-2011, 09:52 PM

Photos from Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Scientists tell us that Spearfish Canyon was formed 30 to 60 million years ago. Originally, a great sea covered this area. When the waters started to subside, the canyon was carved out by water eroding away the softer rock. The land was also pushed up from underneath by volcanic action. After many years, the water carved out the channel now called "Spearfish Canyon".

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo     

Views: 6,576
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Ok Bob, you have convinced me to do something that I have been debating for a while. Sometime this year I am bound and determined to make it the 5 1/2 hour drive from Bismarck to the Spearfish/Sturgis/ Rapid area to everything the Black Hills can offer for a weekend.

Now I just need to figure out where to fit it in around my ND Badlands camping trips

03-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jqjones Quote
Ok Bob, you have convinced me to do something that I have been debating for a while. Sometime this year I am bound and determined to make it the 5 1/2 hour drive from Bismarck to the Spearfish/Sturgis/ Rapid area to everything the Black Hills can offer for a weekend.

Now I just need to figure out where to fit it in around my ND Badlands camping trips

There is so much to do and see you are going to have a tough time fitting it into a tight schedule. There are always weekly events it seems in Sturgis and Deadwood, Custer SP, Mount Rushmore and plenty of scenic roads..filled with motorcycles touring the area. The big bike rally in Sturgis starts Aug 8th and that fills the areas up there. No matter where you go in the area, it is beautiful. Bob