Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

So many species - so little knowledge
Posted By: daacon, 03-04-2011, 07:37 AM

After a couple of nights of decadence at the Tabacon hotel (Volcanic Hot springs , ohh so nice) we headed up to the Arenal Observatory. There were several groups of bird watchers there and I can see why. I saw one group with a guide who had a scope pointing way up in the trees and all the people were taking turns looking. I later found out it was a Toucan - did not have the heart to tell them the day before I came within 3 feet of one.

Unfortunately for us it was overcast and the peak of the volcano was covered. Also it has been inactive for the last several months - just a regular cycle in the life of a volcano I am told. Would have loved to get some lava shots!

As it was this place offered more than enough photographic opportunities.

My classification skills include the blue one, the one with the yellow tail and other such scientific terms - Here is one place I sure wish I had the Bigma.

Setting out food makes for some arguments at times.

A few in a little more natural settig (bellies full or wating their turn)

Views: 4,231
03-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
So, having fun? ;~)
It was a blast back then oh so many weeks ago whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Peterson's field guide on mexican birds.

Although about 70% of mexican birds also venture into the US and Canada, there are many that stop at the texas boarder so they do not appear in any north American guide book.

Only took about 10 minutes to do, because I have seen most of these guys before. One thing I do note is that on the days in was in the jungle, I didn't see a whole lot, most of these I saw on the way to and from the "hotel" to the work site, in open fields etc.
Interesting Lowell - I wish I had more time there .. maybe someday , it's now offically on the list of potential retirement places ....

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, what a colorful flock! Great captures, too. Of course, I can't identify a single one, but then I can't identify the ones in my back yard.

Jer
Thansk Jer .. you have a backyard ??? Man when I was kid .....

03-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Striking colours in some of the feathered variety,TFS Dave

cheers
03-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Striking colours in some of the feathered variety,TFS Dave
cheers
Thanks for stopping by Ivan, I appreciate the comments.